Douglas M. Foley has substantial experience representing large and small creditors and debtors in a variety of business Chapter 11 proceedings throughout the United States. He has had significant involvement in many of the largest Chapter 11 cases filed in the Eastern District of Virginia, including Toys “R” Us, Inc., Workflow Management Inc., Circuit City Stores Inc., Movie Gallery Inc., Rowe Furniture Inc., US Airways Group Inc.; AMF Bowling Worldwide Inc.; Best Products Company Inc.; Heilig-Meyers Company; Trak Auto Corporation; and FasMart Convenience Stores.
He also served as chairperson of McGuireWoods’ Restructuring and Insolvency Department from September 2006 through August 2012. In 2011, Doug was inducted into the American College of Bankruptcy (Class XXII) and is currently the Regent for the Fourth Circuit and D.C.
He is certified in business bankruptcy law by the American Board of Certification Standards Committee, an affiliate of the American Bankruptcy Institute. He focuses his practice on all aspects of insolvency and debtor-creditor issues and has spoken at various bankruptcy bar and trade association meetings on bankruptcy topics.
He is also a past chairperson of the Virginia State Bar Bankruptcy Law Section Board of Governors. Following law school, Doug served as a law clerk for the Honorable Loren A. Smith, Chief Judge at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and for the Chief Judge Douglas O. Tice Jr. of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Virginia.
EXPERIENCE : Representing large Chapter 11 debtors, committees, secured lenders, buyers, trustees, trade creditors and landlords in all areas of insolvency and debtor-creditor law.
- George Mason University School of Law, JD, with Distinction; Member and Production Editor, George Mason Law Review, 1992
- Mary Washington College, BA, cum laude, 1988
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina – All State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Board of Directors 2017-present
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Co-Chair, Legislation Committee 2016-2018
- American College of Bankruptcy, Regent (4th Circuit and DC) 2018-present
- Lifetime Member & Board of Directors, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Past President, Tidewater Bankruptcy Bar Association, 2002-2003
Rate : $$$