Emilie B. Cooper is an accomplished litigator with significant experience handing disputes in the real estate and hospitality arenas. She has successfully represented companies and individuals, including real estate and hotel investors, developers, lenders, owners, managers, and operators, in a wide variety of matters and through all stages of complex litigation.
Emilie’s knowledge of the real estate and hotel industries, particularly in New York, has been invaluable to both plaintiffs and defendants in high stakes litigations and arbitrations, including breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, commercial tort suits, securities and foreclosure actions.
Moreover, her industry knowledge enables her to better understand her clients’ business needs and goals, and consider how best to achieve them, through litigation or otherwise. Emilie also frequently advises clients concerning the potential litigation implications of their agreements and transactions, providing a unique litigator’s point of view in a transactional context.
Emilie regularly devotes time to pro bono cases, and has successfully obtained asylum for several clients fleeing persecution, including an Ethiopian orphan who originally came to the United States to seek medical treatment for complications from her amputated leg.
Professional and Community Activities :
- Georgetown Law New York Alumni Advisory Council
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004, cum laude; Symposium Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
- B.Soc.Sci., University of Ottawa, 2001, magna cum laude; Dean’s List
ADMISSIONS : New York, 2005
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Rate : $$$