Eric J. Edwardson is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Consumer Financial Services group. He provides a broad range of transactional and business counsel to clients in the mortgage banking, student lending, consumer finance, settlement service and related industries, informed by his knowledge of business and operational practices and the regulatory environment.
Eric regularly assists clients with transactions that are unique to the consumer finance market, including sales and securitizations of loans, sales of servicing rights, servicing and subservicing agreements, loan broker and loan correspondent agreements, origination, underwriting and processing agreements, participation agreements and financing arrangements.
In addition, Eric assists clients in the consumer finance industries with customary corporate and business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions through stock and asset transactions, creation of joint ventures, formation and operation of corporate, limited liability company and other business structures, drafting and negotiating employment, marketing, services and other miscellaneous agreements.
Eric develops and analyzes business plans and drafts the related business agreements to achieve the desired business result and comply with applicable US federal and state mortgage lending and other consumer finance regulation.
- University of Virginia School of Law, JD
- University of Virginia, BA, with distinction
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association (Business Law and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections)
- Bar Association of District of Columbia
- Virginia Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Represented a nonbank purchaser of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Ginnie Mae mortgage servicing rights in a coordinated program of more than 45 purchase transactions (including bulk and flow) from multiple sellers, with total purchases related to mortgage loans with aggregate balances in excess of $50 billion, during 2015.
- Represented a nonbank purchaser of Ginnie Mae mortgage servicing rights in a flow purchase arrangement with seller-retained subservicing.
- Represented a banking institution engaged in wealth management in negotiation of agreements for sale of non-conforming residential mortgage loans on servicing retained basis, and in connection with subsequent securitization of loans and related subservicing arrangements.
- Assisted a national bank client in review and summarization of terms of approximately 200 residential mortgage loan sale and servicing agreements associated with private label securitizations.
- Represented a national bank in creating Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act-compliant joint ventures for the origination of mortgage loans with homebuilders and realtors.
- Represented a national bank in the purchase of national mortgage origination and mortgage servicing platforms and related servicing rights, and negotiated the related subservicing agreement.
- Represented an investment bank in the due diligence review of mortgage servicing rights related to privately securitized pools of mortgage loans for potential purchase.
- Represented a national bank in the engagement of a non-depository mortgage company to provide “private label,” mortgage origination and related services.
Rate : $$$