Hugh M. Dougan tries first to understand the business transaction, and then to guide the client on how to achieve it in the most tax-efficient way. Hugh primarily provides tax guidance for financing and development transactions involving energy projects.
His practice includes structuring of domestic and international joint venture arrangements, guidance on tax-exempt bond financing issues and securing available tax credits and other benefits.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Provided cash grant tax opinion, for developer, to support $130 million construction bridge loan for solar energy development project. Cash grant proceeds were used to repay the bridge loan.
- Advised developer client on proposed refunding of tax-exempt bonds for an electric energy generating project. Persuaded bond counsel that deviation from original representations was not legally material, and the refunding bonds were issued.
- Advising developer client on continuing cash grant eligibility of multiple solar projects in Puerto Rico, despite many forced changes in project designs and locations.
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- LL.B., Columbia University School of Law, 1961
- A.B., Harvard College, 1958
ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$