Ian K. Byrnside is an experienced litigator and trusted advisor, focusing his practice on complex commercial litigation, healthcare litigation, and media law. Drawing on the depth and breadth of his experience, Ian represents clients ranging from individuals to large international companies in high-stakes litigation involving commercial contract disputes, business torts, and the federal False Claims Act.
Ian also helps hospitals and other healthcare providers navigate and resolve medical claim disputes, restrictive covenant litigation, and peer review and medical staff privileging matters.
In his media practice, Ian helps news media and other content providers bring, defend, and avoid various types of litigation, including First Amendment, public access, and privacy and defamation matters.
Ian is a member of the Hiring and Recruiting Committee for the Atlanta office and is actively involved in the summer program and mentoring program.
- Represented one of the largest industrial distributors in North America in a lawsuit seeking several million dollars for alleged breach of fiduciary duty, breach of commercial contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair competition. Obtained summary judgment on all claims, in addition to recovery of a portion of the client’s attorney’s fees.
- Defended one of the world’s largest engineering, construction, and procurement firms in a qui tam suit seeking more than $90 million for alleged violations of the False Claims Act related to profits earned on a fixed-price contract. Obtained summary judgment for the client on all claims, including the plaintiff’s implied certification theory. U.S. ex rel. Prime v. Post, Buckley, Schuh & Jernigan, Inc. et al., 2013 WL 4506357 (M.D. Fla. Aug. 23, 2013)
- Represented the largest medical device implant management company in the country in pursuing a series of arbitrations against large national payers for unpaid medical claims. Obtained multiple arbitration awards resulting in the recovery of millions of dollars.
- Represented a national digital media company and local news station in a successful action to unseal the autopsy report of Bobbi Kristina Brown in connection with investigative news coverage regarding a nationwide epidemic of drug abuse by affluent young adults.
- Lamar Inn of Court, Barrister
- Federal Bar Association, Atlanta Chapter
- Co-Chair of the Robert S. Vance Forum on the Bill of Rights (2016, 2017)
- Vice Chair of the Younger Lawyers Division (2017)
- American Bar Association
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2008
- B.A., Duke University, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
Rate : $$$$