James Balli is a partner at Sams, Larkin, Huff & Balli, LLP and is admitted to the State Bar of Georgia (1999) and the State Bar of Alabama (2000). In addition to all trial level courts in Georgia and Alabama, Mr. Balli is admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Alabama Supreme Court, the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals, the United States District Court for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia and the Middle District of Alabama, the Armed Forces Board of Contract Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (GA, AL, FL).
Mr. Balli focuses a large part of his practice on local governmental relations in the field of entitlements required for development which include everything from permitting to full zoning approval and has obtained approval of numerous projects with a combined value in excess of a billion dollars.
Most recently, Mr. Balli is proud to represent the Atlanta Braves and their related entities in the entitlement of SunTrust Park (opening day 2017) and the Ballpark Village mixed-used development that will be adjacent to the Stadium.
In addition to his governmental relations practice, Mr. Balli is an experienced litigator representing clients in federal and state litigation throughout the trial and appellate courts of Georgia and Alabama, including the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Early in his career, Mr. Balli gained experience in the area of governmental liability successfully representing the Georgia Department of Corrections and the Georgia Department of Human Resources in numerous federal and state litigation actions and now continues to represent clients in the area of governmental liability. Mr. Balli also represents numerous clients and companies in commercial litigation, insurance coverage claims, land acquisition, contract disputes and general civil litigation.
Utilizing the knowledge and experience gained while defending insurance companies, Mr. Balli also actively represents personal injury plaintiffs in catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims throughout the Southeast. Representing the plaintiff, Mr. Balli has recovered verdicts and settlements for clients ranging from hundreds of thousands to several million dollars.
During the 2014 Legislative Session, Mr. Balli served as Special Counsel to the Georgia State Senate Judiciary Committee. The Senate Judiciary Committee acts on all legislation affecting judicial proceedings dealing with civil procedure and practice. Its jurisdiction also includes civil liberties as well as governmental information and constitutional amendments.
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia, J.D. – 1999
- Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville, Georgia, B.S. – 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- State Bar of Alabama, Member
- Cobb County Bar Association, Member
- Cobb County Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Registered Lobbyist with the State of Georgia
- The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Rate : $$$