James “J.R.” England’s practice focuses on commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, finance, hospitality, leasing and construction. J.R.’s practice focuses on commercial real estate, including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financing, leasing, hospitality and construction transactions.
He advises individuals, corporate entities, investment funds, sovereign wealth funds and foreign governments on a wide variety of real estate related transactions both domestically and internationally.
- Represented the City of Atlanta and Fulton County Recreation Authority in connection with the sale of “Turner Field” the former home of the Atlanta Braves major league baseball team.
- Represented Cove Property Group in the acquisition and development of 441 Ninth Avenue in Manhattan for $330 million.
- Represented LSTAR Management LLC, in connection with the acquisition of all the membership interests in the owner of 1,400 acres of land formerly consisting of the Weymouth Naval Air Station outside of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented a large corporate client in connection with the transfer of its ownership interests in several office properties to a new joint venture partner, including analysis of CMBS loan restrictions and JV structuring considerations.
- Counseled large hedge funds and private equity funds in various real estate transactions, including REIT Stock Sales and the acquisition and disposition of resorts, golf courses, office buildings and residential properties.
- Represented a major hotel chain in connection with the purchase, sale and operation of hotel properties throughout the United States.
- Counseled a sovereign wealth fund and a US-based investment fund in connection with the formation and structuring of a joint venture for the acquisition of commercial properties in the UAE.
- Counseled a UAE government entity in the corporate structuring, construction, leasing and ongoing development of Masdar City, a carbon neutral city of 40,000 being constructed in the UAE.
- Represented multiple investment funds in various transactions, including (i) the purchase of substantially all of the assets of a convenience store chain with operations across the United States; (ii) the acquisition and development of 1,300 acres of commercial and residential properties located outside San Antonio, Texas; and (iii) the disposition of a portfolio of nursing home and assisted living properties across Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas.
- Represented a large private equity fund and five of its principals through the gaming license process in 15 states, a pivotal gating event that opened the door to the leverage buyout of a major casino company.
- JD, SMU Dedman School of Law, cum laude, 2005
- BS, Saint Louis University, summa cum laude, 2002
BAR ADMISSIONS : Texas
Rate : $$$$