James M. Becker represents companies and individuals at all stages of government enforcement proceedings, whether criminal, civil or administrative and serves as chair of the White-Collar Defense & Investigations practice group.
Jim has represented a wide variety of clients under government investigation in the health care, environmental, government procurement, tax, securities and antitrust fields, and he has substantial experience conducting internal corporate investigations that parallel ongoing governmental investigations.
Jim’s prior experience as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and as Chief of the Major Crimes Section adds significant perspective to his practice. He is also a former trial attorney with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
His representations have included:
- A managed-care organization in federal criminal and civil investigation of possible False Claims Act and anti-kickback violations arising from its financial relationships with a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- Executives, managers and employees of Fortune 500 pharmaceutical companies in federal criminal and civil investigations of pharmaceutical marketing practices.
- Defense contractors (including Fortune 500 companies) in government investigations of False Claims Act and other alleged violations arising from the contractors’ treatment of labor charges, overhead rates, reserves and other cost accounting issues in the submission of proposals and in contract billing.
- An insurance company in SEC/U.S.Department of Justice/NY Attorney General investigation of fraudulent accounting practices in the finite reinsurance business.
- The general counsel of a publicly traded company in a federal criminal investigation of the company’s hiring of undocumented workers.
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1978, with honors
- Swarthmore College, B.A., 1974, with honors
Rate : $$$