James B. Riley is a former chair of the firm’s Healthcare Department. Jim’s practice encompasses general corporate and healthcare law. He handles corporate counseling, with a particular emphasis on complex transactional matters for middle market businesses, hospitals and outpatient service providers, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and third-party financing.
He also counsels healthcare providers and companies in the healthcare industry on transitional and healthcare regulatory issues including third-party reimbursement consultation and proceedings, fraud and abuse counseling, medical staff issues, corporate restructuring, managed care structuring issues, alternative delivery systems, and matters related to the Medicare ESRD program.
Jim’s clients include a wide range of companies with a special emphasis in the healthcare industry including hospitals and health systems; ambulatory care providers, including dialysis facilities and ambulatory surgery centers; multispecialty and single specialty medical practices and suppliers to the industry including pharmaceutical companies and medical supply companies.
Jim has authored numerous articles in the healthcare field, and currently serves as legal editor a national healthcare magazine, Nephrology News and Issues. Jim has spoken at programs sponsored by the American Health Lawyers Association, the Health Care Financial Management Association, the National Renal Administrators Association, the Renal Physicians Association, and various state and regional associations. He earned his CPA Certificate in the state of Illinois.
- Representation of hospitals and ancillary providers of healthcare services in affiliations, mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Representation of hospitals, physicians, multispecialty clinics and other clients in practice structuring, practice management and hospital/physician integration strategies.
- Representation of healthcare providers in development and implementation of compliance plans and governmental investigations.
- Representation of healthcare providers in governmental regulatory reimbursement matters.
- Representation of managed care and related organizations.
- The George Washington University Law School, JD, cum laude, 1979
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BA, magna cum laude, 1976
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Illinois Association of Hospital Attorneys
- Member, Health Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors; Former President, Rebuilding Together, North Suburban Chicago
- Member of Board of Directors, Gift of Hope Organ and Tissue Bank
Rate : $$$$