Jennifer J. Stearman practices in the area of corporate finance with a focus in the energy and healthcare industries. She represents borrowers, including healthcare systems and hospitals, underwriters, credit providers, corporate trustees and other agents in a diverse range of tax-exempt and taxable finance transactions.
She has substantial experience in tax-advantaged healthcare, higher education and municipal government debt and lease financings as well as traditional secured and unsecured lending and asset securitization transactions.
She has represented lenders, developers and equity investors in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of continuing care retirement communities, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and other senior housing projects.
She has also counseled participants in equipment, project and lease finance transactions involving numerous departments and agencies of the U.S. government, municipalities, and other entities in 42 different states and overseas.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Jennifer was a judicial clerk for the Honorable James R. Eyler of the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, and worked in the general counsel’s office at the American National Red Cross.
While earning her law degree from the University of Baltimore School of Law, she was chair of the Moot Court Board, articles editor of the Law Review and recipient of the Dean’s Citation for Service Award.
- Counsel to national leasing company in connection with origination and syndication of hundreds of federal, municipal and non-profit healthcare leases.
- Counsel to national leasing company in connection with acquisition of $400 million municipal lease portfolio.
- Representation of issuer, servicer, and corporate trustee in connection with a $1.5 billion multi-tranche securitization of U.S. government ESPCs.
- Representation of financial institutions, corporate trustees and other participants in credit card securitizations during the past decade involving some of the most prominent credit card issuers, including American Express, JPMorgan Chase, and Bank of America.
- Representation of lenders in connection with $265 million senior syndicated debt facility to healthcare system.
- Representation of underwriters in connection with public offering of an aggregate of over $1.4 billion of revenue bonds for state university healthcare system.
- Representation of bank in connection with over $600 million multi-series public bond offering for university medical system.
- University of Baltimore, JD, cum laude, Articles Editor, University of Baltimore Law Review; Business Editor, University of Baltimore Intellectual Property Law Journal, 1999
- University of South Carolina, BA, 1993
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Member, Greater Baltimore Committee Leadership Program, 2011
- Chair, 2011-2014; Vice Chair, 2009-2011; Member, 2004-present; Board of Visitors, University of Maryland Children’s Hospital
- Board Member, Publications Committee and Nominating Committee, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 2005-2011
- Editorial Board, MVLA Arts Brief, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, 2007-2011
- Chair, 2010-2012; Vice Chair, 2006-2010; Member, 2001-present, Uniform Commercial Code Committee, Business Law Section, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Association for Governmental Leasing and Finance
Rate : $$$$