John Shaeffer is a successful, smart, hard-driving litigator whose clients count on him when the clock is winding down and an incisive and innovative legal approach is the only way to win. John’s ability to deliver successful verdicts stems from the following :
- John has a diverse, multidisciplinary background and expansive intellectual arsenal. In addition to the law, John has twin interests—and academic degrees in—business and the fine arts, grounding him in both the “numbers side” and “creative side” of the thought process. This duality in both substance and approach enables John to not only bring divergent perspectives to his work, but also to connect those perspectives, an ability that makes a difference in and outside of the courtroom.
- John uses arguments that push the boundaries beyond traditional interpretations of the law. The subject area of each matter John handles—whether intellectual property, product liability, antitrust, environmental, life sciences or antitrust litigation—is only one piece of the litigation puzzle. The more central piece is John’s ability to analyze data and create sophisticated, often groundbreaking legal reasoning that can be considered by the court.
- John understands the art of persuasion—and how to use it at trial. Good litigators argue cases. John goes beyond arguing. He uses logic, coupled with perception and knowledge of human decision-making, to craft legal arguments that are palatable to the people making the final calls in the courtroom.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a consumer product retailer in a trademark infringement action and obtained remittitur following an adverse jury verdict reducing the judgment by several hundred million dollars.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in a case of wrongful death and loss of consortium following the death of a patient after the ingestion of pharmaceutical. Case thrown out on the eve of trial on motion in limine.
- Represented a real estate developer in a failed transaction against the seller of an office complex. Case settled following opening statements and during the testimony on the first witness.
- Took over a theft-of-idea case against a consumer products company following an adverse jury verdict and a remand from a successful appeal. Obtained a multimillion-dollar settlement for the client on the eve of trial.
- Served as co-counsel in an arbitration raising both copyright and patent claims relating to computer encryption technology. After three weeks of arbitration and a variety of motions the matter eventually settled.
Prior to joining Fox Rothschild, John was a partner at a national law firm, serving as partner-in-charge of the firm’s Los Angeles office. Before that John had his own firm, O’Donnell & Shaeffer in Los Angeles for more than 10 years.
- University of Santa Clara School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1988)
- University of Santa Clara (B.S., 1985)
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$$