Jonathan Pelayo is a Partner practicing in Locke Lord’s construction and energy litigation groups, where his experience includes representing contractors, real property owners, mineral property owners, and operators in both construction and oil & gas disputes.
For clients across a variety of industries, Jonathan has considerable experience in post-judgment collection matters, including sequestrations, garnishments, and post-judgment discovery. In the area of construction litigation, Jonathan has represented subcontractors, general contractors, and owners.
Jonathan has handled a wide range of construction disputes, including arbitrations and lawsuits concerning the breach of engineering, procurement, and construction (“EPC”) contracts, joint venture contracts, design defect claims, delay claims, and mechanic lien foreclosure claims.
Jonathan has also advised clients before disputes arise by creating “best practices” guides, drafting construction contracts and related documents, and advising clients concerning the termination and suspension of existing contracts.
In the area of energy litigation, Jonathan has represented energy companies and mineral property owners in disputes concerning joint operating agreements, gas processing agreements, production handling agreements, asset purchase agreements, oil and gas leases, and other contracts common in the energy industry. Jonathan has also advised clients in connection with filing and enforcing mineral liens.
- Represents global engineering and construction company in dispute arising from construction of world’s largest PTA/PET plant.
- Represents developer of commercial and residential real estate project with regard to drafting and negotiating AIA and other construction contract documents.
- Represented owner of gas processing plants with claims against Korean supplier of defective valves. Summary judgment was granted for client.
- Represented commercial insulation company in lawsuit concerning renovations and repairs made to Minute Maid Park’s chilled water insulation system. After conclusion of discovery, Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed all claims against client.
- Represented joint venture partner in two-week arbitration against other joint venture partner. Arbitration award to be issued before year-end.
- Represented oil and gas exploration company in breach of contract claims against lessor in North Dakota. Court granted summary judgment dismissing all claims against client.
- Represented royalty interest owner in litigation involving interpretation of oil and gas deeds. Case settled for client.
- Represents owner of affordable housing properties against claim that owner breached informal fiduciary duty to lender
- Represented Chinese energy company in litigation concerning alleged joint venture agreement with over $1 billion in controversy. All claims were dismissed on summary judgment.
- Defended affiliates of Netherlands-based oil and gas services company in heavily contested post-judgment garnishment matters. Case resulted in settlement.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Texas Rules Committee (2016-Present)
- Pre-Trial Rules Subcommittee
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2014-Present)
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Construction Litigation Section (2014-Present)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Forum on Construction Law (2015-Present)
- Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- J.D., with honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 2007
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, with honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 2003
Admissions : Texas, 2007
Rate : $$$