Julia D. English’s practice focuses primarily on the representation of both electric and natural gas industry participants in regulatory matters, transactional matters and project development and finance.
She represents clients in administrative and adjudicative proceedings before the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the Department of State (import/export proceedings) and state regulatory commissions.
Julia regularly advises energy clients with respect to transaction matters, including mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations, project development, energy supply arrangements, financing transactions, and serves as regulatory counsel in connection with those transactions.
Her practice includes the negotiation and drafting of a variety of both electric and natural gas industry commercial agreements, including EPC agreements, power purchase agreements, tolling agreements, interconnection agreements, energy management agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, and fuel supply and transportation agreements, utilizing customized bilateral agreements, standardized agreements and hybrid agreements.
- Advised and represented electric industry participants, including electric utilities, project developers, energy marketers, and lenders in proceedings before the FERC on a variety of issues, including approval proceedings for mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and reorganizations; both market-based and cost-based wholesale power rate proceedings, and complaint proceedings.
- Advised a major U.S. power marketer in the acquisition of a long-term tolling agreement for a large non-utility electric generating facility; drafted and negotiated joint-venture agreements related to the transaction including an energy management agreement, ISDA hedging agreement, fuel supply agreements and transportation agreements; advised on regulatory matters related to the transaction.
- Advised several U.S. energy marketers on long-term natural gas supply and transportation transactions, including drafting and negotiating asset management agreements, transportation agreements and NAESB contracts for supply; advised on regulatory matters related to the transactions.
- Represented a U.S. electric utility in its request for proposals (RFP) for long-term power purchase agreements, assisted in negotiating tolling agreements resulting in executed contracts for over 1,400 MWs of capacity.
- Represented a U.S. energy project developer in its application for a DOE grant under the ARRA for its proposed electricity storage project.
- Represented a consortium of lenders in their application for a DOE loan guarantee under the agency’s Financial Institution Partnership Program (FIPP).
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1989
- University of Virginia, BA, 1981
Admissions : District of Columbia, Virginia
Rate : $$$$