Julian Rivera helps clients find strategic solutions and capture opportunities in the highly regulated healthcare environment. For more than 30 years, Julian has worked in the healthcare and life sciences industries.
He represents healthcare providers and healthcare technology companies on a wide range of regulatory compliance, operations, transactions, litigation and business matters.
Julian’s work includes representing providers in Texas Medical Board license and federal health program cases. Clients seek his help in maximizing healthcare provider opportunities and navigating Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation.
He also has extensive experience representing clients on matters involving healthcare technology, including emerging technologies with big data, artificial intelligence, telemedicine and telehealth.
Julian assesses clients’ situations at both the macro and micro levels, shepherding projects through in an environment where solutions are not always easy to see. He solves complex problems and guides clients in optimizing the relationships between health systems and physicians, in order to increase quality of care and maximize business opportunities for everyone involved.
Before attending law school, Julian worked in immunology, cell biology and genetics research at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the Baylor College of Medicine. This experience provides him with a unique perspective that helps him better understand clients.
- J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law
- B.S., University of Houston
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- American Health Lawyers Association, 2003-present
- American Telemedicine Association
- Austin Health Lawyers Group
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Negotiated and drafted professional contracts, guidelines and service agreements for electronic intensive care units (eICUs) and for providers using telemedicine to expand their outreach efforts for patient care.
- Assisted telemedicine clients in navigating state requirements and standard of care issues.
- Counseled healthcare providers on licensure issues for direct-to-patient and remote monitoring telemedicine business models.
- Provided fraud and abuse guidance and compliance counseling for healthcare providers with multistate footprints, including anti-kickback statutes, physician self-referral laws, fee-splitting rules, healthcare marketing and corporate practice of medicine.
Community Leadership :
- Austin Chamber of Commerce, Education and Talent Development Council, 2013-present
- Adoption Advocates Inc., Board of Directors, Chair, 2011-2014
- Advocacy Incorporated, Board of Directors, Chair, 2004-2006
- Austin State Hospital Volunteer Services Council, Board of Directors, 2006-2009
- Capital Area United Way, Community Investment Impact Committee, 2001, 2003
- Mental Health America (formerly known as National Mental Health Association), Board of Directors, 2006-2009
- Mental Health Association in Texas, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, 2005.
Rate : $$$$