Justin McCarthy is a senior advisor in the firm’s public law and policy practice. Prior to joining Akin Gump, Justin served as Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs during the George W. Bush administration, acting as a principal liaison and advocate of the President to the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate.
In that role, he had primary responsibility for developing, coordinating and executing White House strategy on priority issues. While at the White House, Justin led efforts on the free trade agreements with Colombia, Korea and Panama, as well as on Trade Adjustment Assistance in the House and Senate. In addition, Justin led efforts on tax issues, the Farm Bill and the Troubled Asset Relief Program.
Prior to joining the White House staff, Justin was appointed by President Bush as the assistant U.S. trade representative for congressional affairs. While at the Office of the United States Trade Representative, he led efforts with Congress on free trade agreements with Colombia, Korea, Oman and Panama, and with the Doha Round of World Trade Organization negotiations and Permanent Normal Trade Relations with Ukraine and Vietnam.
Most recently, Justin was a lobbyist at a government relations firm in Washington, D.C. Prior to joining the executive branch, he also served as director of government relations at Pfizer Inc., where he was responsible for health care, intellectual property, international trade and tax issues.
- Served in the George W. Bush administration as Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs.
- Advises clients on issues related to trade, tax and health policy, among others.
- Acts as a lobbyist on Section 232 issues as it relates to steel, aluminum and automobiles.
- Provides political intelligence and analysis of U.S. trade policy, specifically as it pertains to the U.S.-Mexico Canada Agreement and negotiations with Japan, the European Union and United Kingdom.
- Acts as an advisor on government relations services on intellectual property protection and international trade issues.
- Provides policy advice and advocacy related to international trade policy.
- Serves as an advocate on U.S. tariffs against Chinese imports resulting from the ongoing Section 301 investigation.
- B.A., Stonehill College
Rate : $$$