Kevin L. Keller is the Chair of the Catastrophic Loss & Tort Defense Practice Group. He regularly monitors high risk exposures for catastrophic losses on behalf of excess carriers, and is frequently “dropped in” to trials with minimal notice.
He has performed in this capacity in multiple jurisdictions, including: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, D.C., Maryland, West Virginia, Texas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Alabama, Georgia, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.
His areas of practice include products liability, drownings, transportation, fire loss, traumatic brain injury and insurance coverage litigation. In addition to the jurisdictions listed above, he has an active practice in the United States Virgin Islands.
- National coordinating counsel for products defect claims against an over-the-counter medicine provider, involving over 500 cases in multidistrict litigation. Many cases arbitrated and settled with Kevin as first chair. All cases resolved.
- Litigation and beneficial settlement of explosion/fire case against Fortune 200 manufacturer of industrial equipment, including one death and three severe burn injuries, with boarded special damages of roughly $500 million.
- Defended bus manufacturers in multiple fatality crashworthiness causes, in Georgia and Florida. The Florida case involved six fatalities. All cases mediated and resolved.
- Litigation and beneficial settlement of wrongful death product defect case against the manufacturer of a scissor lift.
- Dropped into multimillion dollar fire loss to apartment complex, to defend an allegedly defective fire suppression/sprinkler system, to mediate and settle case. Beneficial settlement attained.
- Summary judgment dismissal of litigation by 32 plus claimants based on a fire loss that burned down over 30 houses. Total claimed damages exceeded 20 million dollars. Beneficial settlement of 20 million dollar fire loss in Washington, D.C.
- Defense verdict in Virginia wrongful death case against alarm services company, when a silent alarm was mistakenly audible, resulting in plaintiff being shot to death as he pressed alarm button.
- After a large corporation suffered a multimillion dollar verdict based on a forklift injury, Kevin was dropped in and helped get the verdict thrown out, and retried the case resulting in a low six figure verdict.
- J.D., Washington & Lee University, cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1989
- B.S., Old Dominion University, magna cum laude, 1985
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Virgin Islands Bar
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (Board of Directors, Emeritus)
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (ADTA)
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA) (Prime Member for Tidewater/Hampton Roads Area)
- Defense Research Institute – Products Liability
Past Professional Experience :
- Special Agent, Criminal Investigation Division, Department of Treasur
Rate : $$$