L. Poe Leggette was recently recognized by the Independent Petroleum Association of America for “25 Years of Outstanding Legal Representation,” having saved independent oil and gas producers an estimated $25 billion in costs from excessive regulation. He heads the firm’s national energy industry team, which was named a 2015 Practice Group of the Year by Law360.
Addressing the intricate needs of oil and gas companies, Poe focuses his well-established practice on litigation and transactional work in the energy industry. His experience includes four principal areas of representation: onshore shale plays, federal and private mineral royalties, oil and gas companies operating on federal and Indian lands, and companies operating under federal leases in the Gulf of Mexico.
Prior to entering private practice, Poe served as assistant solicitor for the U.S. Department of the Interior, advising the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the Minerals Management Service (MMS) on their onshore and offshore energy programs, as well as MMS’s Royalty Management Program on questions of royalty valuation.
- Obtained landmark Tenth Circuit ruling allowing federal unit operator full access to surface of a federal Niobrara shale unit. Entek GRB, LLC v. Stull Ranches, LLC, 763 F.3d 1252 (10th Cir. Aug. 14, 2014)
- Represented U.S. energy company in first challenge to an EPA noncompliance order under Sackett v. EPA.
- Represented non-U.S. energy company in acquisition of oil and gas assets in Utah and New Mexico.
- For federal lessees and interstate pipelines, defeated litigation brought under the False Claims Act for allegedly underpaid royalties on oil and natural gas. In re Natural Gas Qui Tam Litigation, 562 F.3d 1032 (10th Cir. 2009)
- Obtained rare victory before Interior Board of Land Appeals in challenge to MMS’s application of the “marketable condition” rule. Xeno, Inc., 134 IBLA 172 (1995)
- Represents energy companies in class action and individual suits alleging improper deduction of downstream costs from royalties owed under private leases.
- Represented U.S. energy company in litigation over preemptive effect of Pennsylvania’s Act 13 (2012) as to local zoning power.
- Represents federal lessees and trade association with respect to federal bonding requirements for platform abandonment.
- Represented oilfield services company in investigation over testing of blowout preventers offshore.
- Represented U.S. trade association in dispute with Department of the Interior over CEO certification requirement for offshore leases.
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
Community : Goals Beyond the Net: Principal Donor
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1977
- B.A., Tufts University, 1974, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
Rate : $$$