Lisa M. Schweitzer partner of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Lisa Schweitzer’s practice focuses on financial restructuring, bankruptcy, insolvency and commercial litigation. Lisa joined the firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2006.
She has advised clients in some of the most high-profile bankruptcy matters in North America, and her work repeatedly has been recognized by the business and legal press, including The American Lawyer, which previously named her a “Dealmaker of the Year.” Among her many highlights, Lisa is lead U.S. restructuring counsel to Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in their U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings.
She has extensive experience advising corporate debtors, individual creditors and strategic investors in both U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings and restructurings in other jurisdictions in North America, Europe and Asia. Lisa also has represented several companies seeking to acquire distressed assets in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Barclays Capital in its acquisition of Lehman Brothers’ North American investment banking and capital markets assets, and a $450 million debtor-in-possession financing facility provided to Lehman.
- Inversiones Alsacia and Express de Santiago Uno and their affiliates in their prepackaged Chapter 11 reorganization, the first Chapter 11 case filed by a Chilean company since 2002.
- A large ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the successful restructuring of Maxcom Telecomunicaciones through a prepackaged Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in their U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Major roles in connection with the bankruptcies of Adelphia Communications, Refco, Delta Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Additionally, she has counseled various clients with respect to the subprime crisis, including representing a major financial institution in managing its exposure and resolving claims against various mortgage originators.
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Director, Mobilization for Justice (formerly MFY Legal Services, Inc.)
- Educational Committee Member, INSOL New York
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1991
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$