Luke A. Barefoot’s practice focuses on bankruptcy litigation, insolvency, corporate restructuring and related litigation matters, with a particular focus on cross-border and international bankruptcy disputes.
Luke is also active in the firm’s pro bono practice. He was inducted into the International Insolvency Institute’s Next Generation at the London conference on June 19, 2017. Luke joined the firm in 2004 and became a partner in 2013.
- Steering Committee of bondholders in the Oi Brasil Holdings Cooperatief (Coop) Chapter 15 cases, including successful trial victory maintaining recognition of Brazilian proceeding by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and entry of order by Chapter 15 court enforcing terms of Brazilian plan. Decisions established important new precedent on unchartered Chapter 15 issues.
- Goldman Sachs Mortgage Company in exit financing facilities in the John Hammonds Trust Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Overseas Shipholding Group Inc., one of the world’s largest publicly traded oil tanker companies, in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and successful restructuring, including successful defense and resolution of challenges to its plan of reorganization.
- The Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico in various litigation matters relating to Puerto Rico’s debt crisis.
- Petrobras in a securities fraud class action and dozens of related individual actions in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Barclays Capital in its purchase of Lehman’s North American investment banking assets, and various clients in resolving over $1 billion in outstanding derivative claims against the Lehman entities, both before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and in related European insolvency proceedings.
- Nortel Networks in its Chapter 11 proceedings, a matter that has involved multiple material asset sales, including the unique and highly successful auctions of its patent portfolio and related businesses, which generated over $7.5 billion in proceeds
- Truvo Group in winning confirmation of its plan of reorganization, which enabled the cross-border restructuring of approximately €1.5 billion of debt.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 2004
- Cornell University, B.S., 2001
- New York
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeal, Second, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
Rate : $$$