Maripat Alpuche is a Partner in the Firm’s Corporate Department, concentrating in mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions involving financial institutions. Maripat has worked on many of the largest mergers in the financial institutions industry, including:
- Mellon Financial Corporation’s merger with The Bank of New York Company, Inc. ($16.8 billion)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s merger with Bank One Corporation ($58 billion)
- Manulife Financial Corporation’s acquisition of John Hancock Financial Services ($11 billion)
- Wachovia Corporation’s merger with First Union Corporation ($13.14 billion) and its successful hostile takeover defense against SunTrust Banks ($13.7 billion)
- Chase Manhattan Corporation’s acquisition of J.P. Morgan & Co. ($34 billion)
Maripat has also represented a variety of clients in connection with a number of major credit card portfolio transactions, including:
- TD Bank in acquisition of Target portfolio ($5.9 billion)
- TD Bank in acquisition of Aeroplan portfolio ($3 billion)
- Macy’s Inc. ($7.4 billion)
- Best Buy Co. Inc. ($7 billion)
- Various luxury retailers, including The Neiman Marcus Group, Inc.; Saks, Inc.; Barneys New York; and Talbots, Inc.
Since the financial crisis, Maripat has assisted financial institutions, underwriters and investors in connection with numerous public and private capital raising transactions. Representative transactions included:
- Representation of JPMorgan Chase & Co. in various equity and debt offerings, including its $5 billion common stock offering to repay TARP
- Representation of the underwriters in significant public equity offerings, including by Regions Financial Corporation ($900 million), Sovereign Bancorp, Inc. ($1.9 billion), Fulton Financial Corporation ($230 million), Susquehanna Bancshares ($350 million)
- Representation of The Carlyle Group in connection with its investments in the recapitalizations of FNB United ($310 million), Hampton Roads Bankshares ($255 million), Brand Banking Co. ($200 million) and Boston Private Financial Holdings, Inc. ($170 million)
- Representation of Hamilton State Bancshares in its recapitalization ($231 million)
- Representation of several investors in connection with the acquisition of assets and liabilities of IndyMac Federal Bank, FSB ($13.9 billion) and BankUnited ($900 million) from the FDIC; and representation of investors in the subsequent initial public offering of BankUnited
Other M&A representations in the financial services area include representation of Wells Fargo & Company in its divestiture of HDVest, Inc. and its acquisition of Prudential Financial Inc.’s stake in its retail brokerage joint venture; and Wachovia Corporation in its acquisition of A.G. Edwards, Inc. ($6.8 billion) and its retail brokerage venture with Prudential Financial Inc. ($1 billion). Maripat was recently recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2018.
- Columbia Law School, 1990 J.D.
- Stone Scholar; Columbia Law Review, 1989–1990, Articles Editor 1990
- Franklin & Marshall College, 1987 B.A.
- magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Rate : $$$