Mary C. Zinsner, a trial and appellate lawyer, focuses on financial services litigation. She is retained regularly in high-stakes matters pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and is a frequent lecturer on litigation practices in the Rocket Docket.
As a financial services litigator, Mary focuses her practice on litigation and strategy in lender liability, the Uniform Commercial Code, bank operation, class action, consumer finance defense, fiduciary matters and creditor’s rights disputes.
She is known for understanding the business of her financial services clients and providing strategic advice to achieve results compatible with business practicalities. In addition to financial services, Mary has broad experience in commercial property disputes, business tort, intellectual property, identity theft and privacy matters.
She regularly represents clients in matters pertaining to trade secret theft, covenants not to compete, and other sensitive corporate disputes. Workable approaches to dispute resolution are considered in every litigation matter, and she is creative and flexible in creating workable fee arrangements.
Mary practices extensively in the federal and state trial and appellate courts in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. She represents certain clients on a nationwide basis, no matter the size of the matter.
She is proud of her ties to Virginia, and, having clerked for the Honorable Claude M. Hilton – and having practiced in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia for over 25 years – she is a well-known practitioner in the Rocket Docket.
Mary is committed to cultivating professionalism and education on the rule of law and serves on the Board of Directors of the Virginia Law Foundation. She is a former member of the Board of Governors of the Virginia Bar Association, a permanent member of the Judicial Conference of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and a Master in the Pauline Newman Inn of Court.
Representative Matters :
- Assumed a defense post-trial, representing a state-chartered bank in an appeal and mediation following an adverse jury verdict and multimillion-dollar award in a case involving commercial lending and deposit issues, settling the case successfully for a fraction of the jury verdict.
- Represented the prevailing party in an appeal, obtaining reversal of a judgment against a bank arising from a garnishment dispute where the trial court ruled the bank liable for failing to freeze funds totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars in the subject account.
- Regularly represents financial institutions in claims of wire fraud and theft involving indemnification and claims between financial institutions.
- Regularly successfully represents national banking associations, state-chartered banks and community banks in defense of cases involving crooked bookkeepers and other allegations implicating Uniform Commercial Code liability.
- Successfully defended multiple financial institutions in cases involving identity theft and related state law claims.
- Represent a global company in parallel litigation pending in federal court in Virginia and Canada arising out of an employment relationship; the case involved issues of trade secret theft and claims under stock incentive plans.
- Representation of the defendant in a copyright action pending in federal court in Virginia involving a computer software program resulting in significant attorney’s fee recovery for the defendant in settlement.
- Serving as local counsel to a leading telecommunications company in a case pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia involving national implications to the telecommunications industry.
- Represent landlord of a large upscale retail mall and other commercial landlords in significant state and federal court litigation.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Board of Directors, Virginia Law Foundation (2018-present)
- Board of Governors, Virginia Bar Association (2014-2017)
- Chair, Community Service Committee, Alexandria Bar Association (1995-1998)
- Board of Directors, Arlington Housing Corporation (1994-1997)
- Board of Directors, Legal Services of Northern Virginia (1996-2000)
- George Washington University, J.D., 1990, Member (1988-1990), Executive Council (1989-1990), Moot Court Board
- College of the Holy Cross, A.B., 1987, Economics and History
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Maryland Court of Appeals
Rate : $$$$