Michael W. Mengis practices commercial litigation, primarily in the oil and gas and healthcare industries. Committed to his clients, Michael uses innovative approaches to achieve practical solutions to their situations.
- Defended a Houston-based operator of oil and gas wells in Louisiana in a $12.5 million litigation matter brought in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, by working-interest owners in the wells. The case was tried and settled on terms favorable to the client during the plaintiff’s appeal.
- Represented a Houston-based company in a multimillion-dollar action against a major energy company arising out of its operation of a gas processing plant in West Texas. The case was pending in Texas state court and settled prior to trial on terms favorable to the client.
- Acted as counsel for a Houston-based oil and gas company as it ceased operations and sold its assets. Handled asbestos claims brought against the company, as well as environmental claims brought by government and private individuals.
- Represented a Houston energy company in two matters brought by former officers in the company relating to their termination. Matters were pending in Texas state court and settled before trial on terms favorable to the client.
- Represented a Houston-based hospital in a wrongful death claim brought by a Louisiana resident in Louisiana federal court. The case was dismissed by the trial court, and the dismissal was affirmed by the court of appeals.
- Represented a California-based company in an FCA case brought by an alleged whistleblower involving the remediation of a closed military base. The case involved allegations involving the Truth in Negotiation Act. The case was settled on favorable terms.
- Handled an international arbitration matter for a Houston company involving a contract to market excess wastewater capacity at its plant on the Houston Ship Channel. The case was settled at the conclusion of the arbitration proceeding on terms favorable to the client.
- Represented a Houston-based insurance company in a $16 million coverage claim. The case was settled on terms favorable to the client.
- Represented a Beaumont, Texas-based manufacturer in a product liability case brought in Texas state court. Obtained a voluntary dismissal for the client with no payment to the plaintiff.
- Represented a property owner accused of causing nearby property to flood due to an improperly blocked drainage easement. Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- District 4-E Grievance Committee Member (1988 to 1995)
- Houston Bar Association
Community : CHRISTUS Foundation for Healthcare: Chair
- J.D., Louisiana State University Law Center, 1986, Order of the Coif, Phi Kappa Phi, Louisiana Law Review
- B.A., University of St. Thomas, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
Rate : $$$$