Michael D. Orlando is a corporate and intellectual property transactions attorney in the firm’s San Diego (Del Mar) office. He is Team Leader of the firm’s Technology Transactions Team. Mr. Orlando advises clients on intellectual property development and licensing, outsourcing, joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, venture capital financing, and commercial transactions, including international transactions.
Mr. Orlando has particular experience in cross-border transactions in Europe and spent several months on secondment in Germany. He is a Legal 500ranked attorney in the area of Media, Technology and Telecoms.
Mr. Orlando’s cross-disciplines in both intellectual property and corporate law allow him to leverage both practice areas when structuring transactions for his clients, including the use of joint ventures and strategic alliances in the financing, development and licensing of technology.
Mr. Orlando’s legal practice spans multiple industries, including software, hardware, medical devices, biotechnology/pharmaceuticals, healthcare IT, financial services, consumer products, sports equipment, apparel, telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, food & beverage, energy and real estate.
Mr. Orlando has extensive experience assisting companies with their intellectual property and commercial transactions, including:
- patent licenses, development and collaboration agreements, clinical trial agreements, and supply, manufacturing, distribution and other outsourcing agreements for pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies;
- software and hardware technology licenses, development agreements, software as a service (SaaS) agreements, maintenance and support agreements, service level agreements, cloud computing arrangements, strategic alliances, joint development agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, OEM, VAR, reseller and distribution agreements;
- outsourcing agreements, including information technology outsourcing (ITO), business process outsourcing (BPO), technology development, manufacturing, and supply agreements, joint ventures, and offshoring arrangements;
- online advertising agreements, privacy policies, terms of service, website and mobile application development agreements, hosting agreements and e-commerce fulfillment agreements; and
- trademark licenses, merchandising agreements, distribution agreements, endorsement/sponsorship agreements, marketing agreements, and sweepstakes/content agreements.
Prior to his legal practice, Mr. Orlando founded and managed a technology development company focused on software as a service (SaaS) Internet applications.
- M.B.A., University of San Diego, 2003
- J.D., University of San Diego, 2002
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1998
- Represented R1 RCM (Nasdaq: RCM) in a strategic outsourcing agreement with Intermountain Healthcare to take over revenue cycle management operations for Utah’s largest healthcare system.
- Represented Heritage Provider Network in the intellectual property licensing aspects of a large joint venture with Trinity Health for population health management.
- Represented Amgen (Nasdaq: AMGN) in a large number of transactions with CROs, universities and research institutions around the world for clinical trials of several novel drug candidates.
- Represented Spy Optic in its licensing, endorsement, sponsorship, international distribution and manufacturing transactions.
- Represented Zeebo, Inc. in a joint venture with Qualcomm for the development of a video game console, as well as in its international distribution and licensing transactions.
- Represented Ingram Micro (NYSE: IM) in its intellectual property licenses and transition services arrangements for the acquisition the Odin Service Automation platform and associated cloud management technologies from Parallels.
- Represented DJO Global in the acquisition of certain medical device assets from Zimmer Biomet, including post-acquisition transition services, supply and licensing arrangements.
- Represented Rusty Surfboards and the majority shareholder in the sale of the Rusty surf apparel company and post-acquisition licenses and services arrangements.
- Represented JAFCO and Nextech Ventures as lead investors in the Series A preferred stock financing of Tracon Pharmaceuticals.
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Business Section, Cyberspace Law and IP Committees)
- National Eagle Scout Association
- International Technology Law Association
Rate : $$$$