For 20 years, Michael F. Tomlinson has advised large institutional investors and entrepreneurial clients on various real estate transactions. He attributes the success he has achieved for his clients to his determined but practical approach to the practice of law.
Mike has focused his practice on representing real estate funds, including REITs, international and domestic pension funds, international sovereign wealth funds, state retirement systems, and privately held real estate investment managers in acquisition, disposition, joint venture and financing transactions involving office, industrial, retail and multifamily properties.
Additionally, Mike represents various retail, office, multifamily and industrial developers and has particular experience in retail, office and industrial leasing.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a Korean pension fund in its $610 million REIT interests acquisition, joint venture and financing of an office complex in Santa Clara, California.
- Represented a publicly traded REIT in connection with a 700,000-square-foot office lease to a publicly traded defense contractor for property located near Washington, D.C.
- Represented a shopping center developer in the development of various shopping centers across the Southern United States totaling over 6 million square feet.
- Drafted and negotiated documentation for developers and asset managers in connection with the management of commercial real estate, including listing, property management and leasing agreements; declarations and restrictive covenants; and documents concerning the coordination of construction and tenant improvement projects.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Member, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Section, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Youth soccer coach
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1999
- Cornell University, B.A., 1996, Economics; Red Key Athletic Society
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, North Carolina
Rate : $$$