Nicholas A. Mongelluzzo represents clients in civil and criminal litigation matters and has experience responding to government enforcement actions and grand jury subpoenas and conducting internal corporate investigations.
He has experience representing clients facing liability under a variety of state, federal, and foreign laws, such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; the Anti-Kickback Statute; the False Claims Act; federal securities laws; state, federal, and international bribery statutes; and tax, bank, wire, and mail fraud laws.
The clients Nick represents span a range of industries, including energy, retail, real estate, life sciences, financial services, government contracting, and the nonprofit sector. He also advises clients on compliance and corporate governance matters, including designing and implementing anti-corruption compliance programs and information management policies.
- Member of a team of attorneys conducting an internal investigation into allegations involving financial integrity issues in Brazil, for a multinational corporation.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a national mortgage association in relation to potential securities fraud violations.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical payment assistance provider in response to grand jury subpoenas investigating potential anti-kickback statute violations.
- Member of a team representing a state government subcontractor in response to a grand jury subpoena issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office relating to the subcontractor’s potential involvement in a fraudulent kickback scheme.
- Representation of a former controller of a publicly traded company in parallel DOJ and SEC investigations relating to tipping and insider trading.
- Advised a national trade association on corporate governance concerns regarding structure of internal investigations, ethics, and compliance departments.
- Represented a national health insurance provider against a state insurance commissioner in U.S. District Court relating to the commissioner’s mandatory spending directives.
- Advised a retail energy provider on the handling of state utilities disputes from customers before state courts and the state public service commission.
- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law2014
- B.A.Government and Politicsmagna cum laudeUniversity of Maryland, College Park2011
Bar Admissions : Maryland, District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- District of Columbia Bar Association
As part of Nick’s pro bono practice, he has successfully represented immigrants fleeing gang violence in El Salvador and seeking asylum before the U.S. Immigration Court. He has also represented victims of domestic violence in peace and protective order proceedings before Maryland state courts.
Nick is an active member of the Baltimore community. He is a member of the Canton Community Association, the University of Maryland Alumni Association and Terrapin Club, and the Sons of Italy lodge in Little Italy.
A former teaching volunteer with Junior Achievement of Central Maryland, Nick now serves on the Associate Leadership Council of the organization, which is dedicated to educating Baltimore-area youth on financial literacy and entrepreneurship.
Rate : $$$$