Niketa K. Patel is an experienced associate in Mayer Brown’s New York office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. She conducts a general litigation practice before state and federal courts, with cases ranging from complex commercial disputes to civil and criminal securities fraud actions. These include:
Trustee Litigation. Regularly represents securitization trustees in residential mortgage-backed securities matters.
Securities Litigation. Represents issuers, underwriters, corporations, and individual officers and directors in federal securities class actions and shareholder derivative suits, and counsels clients and boards of directors in connection with securities law issues.
DOJ, SEC, and AG Enforcement. Represents individuals and corporations, including financial institutions, in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations and related civil proceedings, including government subpoenas and third-party litigation subpoenas.
Internal Corporate Investigations. Performs internal corporate investigations on behalf of management groups and audit committees, and represents clients in connection with these investigations.
General Civil Litigation. Represents corporate and individual clients in federal and state courts in a variety of civil actions, including commercial actions, contract disputes, and breaches of fiduciary duty litigation.
Niketa joined Mayer Brown in 2014, after earning her JD from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where she was an editor on the Journal of Business Law and won the national championship for the ABA Labor & Employment Trial Advocacy Competition.
She was also awarded a Certificate in Management from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, and spent six months at the University of Amsterdam Law School where she studied European Union law and European civil and commercial law.
Before graduating from law school, Niketa worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Lisa Rau of the Pennsylvania Civil Court of Common Pleas. Niketa is currently on secondment to HSBC Bank plc in London where she serves as legal counsel to the Chief of Staff in Group Legal.
- University of Pennsylvania, BA, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Represented The Bank of New York Mellon in the first trial of noteholders against a residential mortgage-backed securitization trustee. Secured complete defense victory after a four-week bench trial, defeating all claims for liability and more than $100 million in damages. Western & Southern Life Ins. Co. v. The Bank of New York Mellon, No. A1302490 (Ohio Ct. Common Pleas, Hamilton Cty. Aug. 4, 2017).
- Briefed successful appeal for Public Prep Charter School Network, winning affirmance of the New York State Commissioner of Education’s decision that charter schools are entitled to space comparable to that awarded to district schools. New York City Department of Education v. Boys Preparatory Charter School of New York, No. 904187 (Albany Sup. Ct. May 8, 2017).
- Represent prominent telecommunications company in putative securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative suits pending in various jurisdictions.
- Briefed successful motion to dismiss (without prejudice) for lack of personal jurisdiction for Altisource Residential Corporation in case alleging shareholder derivative claims. Sokolowski v. Erbey, et al., No. 9:14-v-81601-WPD (S.D.Fla. Dec. 8, 2015).
- Represented leading global financial institution in connection with a cross-border internal investigation arising from tax evasion and FIFA-related allegations.
- Represent individual in connection with government subpoenas relating to allegations of price-fixing conspiracy in the generic drug industry.
Rate : $$$