Nina Borders is an associate in the firm’s IP, Tech & Data Group, focusing on patent and trademark portfolio management, transactional matters, and intellectual property enforcement. Nina has represented clients in a wide range of trademark, patent, copyright, and trade secret matters and oversees domestic and international trademark and patent portfolios for clients in a variety of industries.
She also has significant experience with trademark clearance, registration, enforcement, licensing, counseling, and technology transactions. Nina is a registered patent attorney, and has a broad business and technical background, with nearly ten years of business experience in the food and pharmaceutical industries prior to beginning her legal career with Reed Smith.
- DePaul University College of Law, 2006, J.D.
- Northwestern University, 1996, B.S., Chemical Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001, Fermentation Technology
Professional Admissions & Qualifications :
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Court Admissions : U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
Professional Affiliations :
- Treasurer, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC), Board of Directors, 2009-2011
- Chair, IPLAC Website Committee, 2011-2013
- Co-Chair, IPLAC Trade Secrets & Unfair Competition Committee, 2006-2007
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Providing trademark clearance opinions and counseling on strategies for brand development
- Preparing and prosecuting patent, trademark and copyright applications before the USPTO and copyright office
- Managing enforcement strategy for U.S. intellectual property portfolio of clients in diverse industries such as information technology and consumer products
- Conducting IP due diligence in merger, acquisition, and IPO matters in the software and pharmaceutical industries
- Preparing freedom to operate opinions including analysis of utility patent, design patent, and trade dress rights; preparing patentability opinions and advising clients as to opportunities in various industries; preparing patent invalidity opinions
- Assisting semiconductor companies in Silicon Valley with agreements for the development, licensing, procurement and sale of semiconductor intellectual property and products
- Assisting with preparation of requests for patent reexamination, now inter partes review; preparing claim amendments and arguments for responses to office actions in inter partes reexamination proceedings.
Rate : $$$$