Peter J. Mougey is a shareholder with Levin, Papantonio, Thomas, Mitchell, Rafferty & Proctor and is head of the Securities & Business Litigation Department.
Mr. Mougey frequently lectures at securities and continuing legal education programs on issues confronting the securities industry including the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act, Broker-Dealer Regulation, Structured Finance, Discovery in Securities Arbitration, and Quantitative Modeling to Demonstrate the Viability of Asset Allocation Models.
He was a member of FINRA’s Arbitrator Training Task Force and presented investors’ perspectives under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act to the SEC. In addition, he is qualified as a public arbitrator with FINRA.
Mr. Mougey is a member of the Board of Directors, the Executive Committee, and currently co-chairs the Arbitration Committee of PIABA, an international organization of attorneys dedicated to the advancement of investors’ rights in the securities industry, and has served as chairman of PIABA’s NASAA Committee and Improving Arbitration Task Force.
Mr. Mougey is frequently quoted on securities matters in national press outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, The Los Angeles Times, Barrons, Kiplinger, Business Week, and Investment News.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Florida Bar member, Trial Lawyers section
- Alabama Bar member, Trial Lawyers section
- Escambia- Santa Rosa Bar Association
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, President, 2013
- Board of Directors, 2006-present
- Annual Meeting Committee, 2003- present
- Arbitrator Recruitment Committee, 2005-present
- Discovery Abuse Committee, 2004- present
- Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Division, 2002-2004
- American Bar Association
- Inns of Court, 1999-2002, 2006-2007
- Association of Retarded Citizens
- President, 2011-2012
- Board of Directors, 2004-present
- Vice President, 2008-present
- Personnel Committee, 2008-present
- Executive Committee, 2006-present
- Business Advisory Committee, 2006-2013
- Junior Achievement, Economics Instructor, 2006-present
- St. Anne Church, Adult Fair Formation, Co-Chair, 2003-2007
- St Anne Church, Board of Directors, 2007-present
Mr. Mougey concentrates his practice in the areas of financial services and securities litigation, whistleblower or qui tam litigation, as well as complex business litigation. Over the last five years, Mr. Mougey has represented approximately 50 state, municipal, and institutional investors in financial services litigation and arbitration. In addition, he has represented more than one thousand securities fraud victims in state and federal court and securities arbitrations across the country.
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University; Birmingham, Alabama; 1999 J.D.
- University of Portland, 1995 M.B.A.
- Creighton University, 1991, B.A. Finance
Rate : $$$