Phyllis Cancienne, managing shareholder of the Firm’s Baton Rouge office, represents employers in all aspects of employment litigation, including class actions, before state and federal courts throughout the country, as well as governmental agencies including the EEOC and the Department of Labor.
Ms. Cancienne has also handled numerous employment–related arbitrations and mediations. Ms. Cancienne has extensive experience drafting employee handbooks, employment contracts, confidentiality/trade secret agreements, and covenants not to compete, as well as rendering advice to employers on all federal and state employment laws, including Title VII, ADA, FMLA, GINA, ADEA, NLRA and the FLSA, just to name a few.
Ms. Cancienne’s experience also includes representation of hospitals and other health care providers in False Claims Act litigation medical staff governance issues, drafting physician contracts, and peer review and credentialing matters.
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., 1989
- Louisiana State University, B.A., 1985
- Louisiana, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi, pro hac vice
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, pro hac vice
- Serves as primary L&E counsel to a large, multi-state construction and industrial maintenance company employing more than 25,000 individuals.
- Served as lead counsel on a Title VII mass action by more than 250 employees alleging systemic work place bias and harassment. Successfully resolved through motion practice and nominal settlements.
- Served as lead counsel for several Louisiana-based hospitals in disruptive physician and medical staff peer review hearings, as well as extensive experience regarding HCQIA immunity.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section; ABA/EEO Liaison Committee)
- Member – Federal Bar Association (New Orleans Chapter)
- Member – Louisiana State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section)
- Member – New Orleans Bar Association
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Appointed – Louisiana Bar Foundation’s Kids’ Chance Committee (2015 – 2017)
- Recipient – Female Mentor of the Year Award, Postlethwaite & Netterville (2010)
- Committee Member – “Taste of the Tournament,” Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center (2010) and Co-chair of Sponsorship Committee (2011)
- Recipient – Louisiana Appleseed’s “Good Apple” Award (2009)
- Fellow – Louisiana Bar Foundation
Rate : $$$