Richard J. Evans, dual-qualified as an attorney in California and a solicitor of England & Wales, focuses on finance and leasing transactions involving commercial aircraft and private jets. Richard’s notable commercial leasing clients include Aergen, Aercap, Air Lease Corporation, Aviation Capital Group, BBAM, Cusco Aviation, FPG Amentum, Jackson Square Aviation (JSA), Orix Aviation, Sky Leasing and Wings Capital Partners.
In addition to his private practice experience, Richard was interim general counsel at JSA, a consultant at a startup aircraft leasing company, and in-house counsel at Airbus Group.
His broad asset finance experience and connections to high net worth individuals on the West Coast and aviation industry players worldwide make him ideally-placed to coordinate and deliver the firm’s expertise to private aviation clients in a wide range of practice areas, including: asset finance, employment, estates trusts & tax planning, executive benefits and regulatory.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Lead attorney in relation to several corporate jet transactions, advising a U.S.-based defense contractor in relation to the acquisition of a Bombardier Challenger 350, the sale of a Hawker Beechcraft 4000, the acquisition of a Textron Aviation B300 and the negotiation of related pilot services.
- Member of the team at the firm which advises high net worth individuals on corporate structuring, U.S. tax and leasing matters related to the acquisition, ownership and leasing of aircraft used for business, dry leasing, chartering and personal travel. Recent transactions have included advice with respect to various used and new Gulfstream and Bombardier private jets.
- As interim General Counsel at JSA, managed outside counsel, sale-leaseback transactions and negotiations, and provided legal support to the company on corporate structuring, financing and compliance.
- Acted for a start-up aircraft leasing partnership based in California, specializing in mid-life commercial aircraft trading. Coordinated incorporation, joint venture and partnership formation matters and handled its first aircraft acquisition.
- Represented Orix Aviation in connection with the acquisition from Perilune Group and SHZ Aviation of nine Airbus A319s on lease to American Airlines. In connection with the acquisition, the buyer also assumed the structured financing associated with the aircraft, provided by 11 international financial institutions.
Associations : Aircraft Financing Subcommittee of the American Bar Association
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2004
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law, BPP Law School, 2001
- B.A., University of Southampton, 1998
ADMISSIONS : England and Wales, Solicitor, California
Rate : $$$