Mr. Robert S. Berezin is a partner in Weil’s Litigation Department and a member of the Complex Commercial Litigation and Patent Litigation practices, as well as the Firm’s Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & Information Management group.
For more than two decades, he has successfully litigated and tried high-stakes disputes involving technology, IP licensing, and other complex commercial matters in courts nationwide, and in domestic and international arbitration proceedings.
In the technology space, Mr. Berezin litigates cases involving complex technology and various causes of action, with an emphasis on patent, licensing/breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, trade secret theft and antitrust. He has significant experience litigating cases involving the following technologies: Smart home, home automation and security systems, video analytics/surveillance, biometric technologies, content distribution systems, claims processing systems, energy and clean coal technologies and Internet commerce.
Mr. Berezin’s licensing litigation and arbitration experience includes trademark, most favored nations, and breach of contract disputes. In other commercial disputes, Mr. Berezin has prevailed in cases involving lenders, investment banks, real estate developments, cell-phone distributors, as well as debtors and creditors in bankruptcy litigation.
Mr. Berezin regularly publishes and speaks on a wide range of legal and litigation issues. Most recently, Mr. Berezin has published and has been quoted about emerging technology-related issues facing companies in a variety of sectors, such as the risks associated with the Industrial Internet/Internet of Things, Big Data, and privacy.
Mr. Berezin has been a faculty advisor to the Trade Secrets Institute at the Brooklyn Law School. He also maintains an active pro bono practice, including assisting immigrant victims of domestic violence, as well as work on behalf of the Innocence Project and the Epilepsy Foundation.
Recent notable experience includes:
- Won a complete victory for General Electric in a high-stakes commercial dispute after a three-week arbitration hearing pertaining to the development of complex technology used for power generation. Mr. Berezin also has represented General Electric in commercial and patent disputes for the company’s Aviation, Energy, Oil and Gas, and GE Capital divisions.
- Represented Samsung at trial in a licensing, contractual and patent dispute involving semiconductor technology. After a successful bench trial, the dispute was favorably resolved. Mr. Berezin also has represented Samsung in other matters, including patent litigation relating to digital camera technology.
- University of Missouri (B.A., 1991)
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1994)
- US Court of Appeals 3rd Cir.
- New York State
- Southern District Florida
- Southern District New York
- State of Florida
Rate : $$$