Robert H. Pees handles commercial litigation and domestic and international arbitration arising from securities offerings and corporate transactions.Bob frequently counsels investment funds and others regarding counter party risks.He has extensive experience in the area of class actions and multidistrict litigation and has served as counsel in many large, complex lawsuits, including high-profile, multidistrict litigation and significant arbitration.
Bob’s clients include:
- Financial services firms
- Insurance industry intermediaries
- Investment funds
- Real estate limited partnerships.
- Handles business disputes arising from mergers and acquisitions
- Litigator who acts as counsel in large lawsuits, including high-profile, complex, multidistrict litigation and significant arbitration
- Routinely advises funds clients on disputes
- Assisted a technology company in defense of a consumer class action. At stake were significant reputational and financial damages. Developed and argued a strategy based on a variety of legal theories for dismissal of the case. Plaintiffs sought to claim that television manufacturers were “gaming” federal energy efficiency ratings in a fashion analogous to Volkswagen’s violations in the auto industry. Won dismissal of the case at an early stage with no damages. The precedent-setting win was beneficial to the client and the industry overall.
- Advised a medical device company in a dispute with a co-founder of an investment fund. Engineered a mediation that removed immediate litigation risk and minimized future litigation risk. The settlement minimized further disruption of the client’s business by a disgruntled former business partner.
- Counseled a fund in Section 16(b) short-swing trading litigation. Developed a strategy for challenging a court’s jurisdiction to oppose potential disgorgement of up to $34 million in profits. The case involved novel constitutional issues, was dismissed and is currently on appeal.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1987
- B.A., University of Texas at Austin, summa cum laude, 1984
- New York
Rate : $$$$