Robert M. Tata’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation. Bob is the managing partner of the firm’s Norfolk office. His practice includes high stakes complex commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation (trade secret, false advertising, trademark, trade dress, copyright, and patent), government investigations and contracts, mass tort and products liability defense, construction, employment law, admiralty and maritime law, and personal injury and wrongful death defense in the Eastern District of Virginia “Rocket Docket” and throughout the country.
- Won X-IT Products v. Walter Kidde, a copyright, trade dress, and patent trade secrets case, winning the then largest jury verdict in Virginia history ($116 million).
- Won Lake Wright Hospitality, LLC v. Holiday Hospitality Franchising, Inc., et al., defeating $16 million hotel franchise claim on summary judgment in federal court and winning award of $868,000 in attorneys’ fees.
- Won DACS, Inc. v. Sierra Shelving, et al., winning patent portfolio, award of product, and $450,000 fee award, and shutting down competitive company in state court intellectual property dispute.
- Won certiorari to the United States Supreme Court in Garris v. Norshipco, a maritime wrongful death case and later won defense judgment at trial, earning selection as one of the “top ten” annual defense wins in Virginia Lawyers Weekly.
- Won Ballard v. Sony Pictures Entertainment, obtaining dismissal of copyright and Lanham Act case regarding the movie “The Wedding Planner,” which grossed $97 million.
- Won seven-figure settlement in Wood Logic v. Lehigh, a patent and trade secret case for the inventor of the “Woodpegger.”
- Won Matter of Earl Industries, B-309996, a $60 million bid protest at GAO overturning award of contract for repair of the Navy’s East Coast Frigate fleet.
- Resolved Turner Construction Company v. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, et al. on favorable terms for the Owner of $33 million construction dispute regarding Virginia Tech’s football stadium after being hired by the Virginia Attorney General to represent the University.
- Statewide Coordinating Counsel, Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company, regarding high profile prescription drug litigation.
- Defended wide range of clients in employment law and defamation disputes.
- Represented maritime clients include shippers, shipowners, shipyards, terminals, and equipment manufacturers in all aspects of maritime law and asbestos defense.
- Defended numerous consumer fraud cases.
- Long history of public service serving as Commissioner of the Virginia Port Authority; Commissioner, Virginia Beach Resort Advisory Commission; and as a Captain and intelligence officer in the United States Naval Reserve.
- JD, University of Virginia, Raven Society, Executive Editor, Virginia Tax Review, Class Vice President, 1989
- MBA, Old Dominion University, 1986
- BS, United States Naval Academy, 1979
- District of Columbia
- Member, Board of Visitors, Old Dominion University, 2013–2019
- Member, Board of Directors, Goodwill of Central and Coastal Virginia, 2015–present
- Member, Board of Directors, Greater Norfolk Corporation, 2016–present
- Chairman, Judicial Endorsement Panel, Virginia Beach General Assembly Delegation, 2010–present
- Past Chairman, Judicial Recommendation Panel, Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Past President, Virginia Beach Bar Association and recipient of 2010 “Bar Service Award”
- Triton, Virginia Beach Neptune Festival, 2012
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Section, Virginia State Bar
- Member, National Association of Women Lawyers
Rate : $$$$