Robert L. “Rob” Wollfarth, shareholder in the Firm’s New Orleans office, represents large and small clients across the country with a wide variety of business matters. Mr. Wollfarth has experience handling matters that include, but are not limited to, start-up, mergers and acquisitions, federal, state and local tax planning and controversy, obtaining tax and economic incentives, business combinations, sales, contractual relationships, financing projects and operations, restructuring, buy-outs and dissolution.
Mr. Wollfarth prides himself on providing his business clients with creative solutions rather than just answers to their legal questions. His focus remains on helping clients attain their goals, rather than merely a legal result, and doing so in a cost-effective manner.
He currently serves as the SALT practice area coordinator for the Tax Group, in addition to serving on the executive committee for the Firm’s Manufacturing Initiative.
- New York University School of Law, J.D. and LL.M., Taxation, 1997
- Tulane University, B.S., Mathematical Economics, 1994
- Texas, 2014
- Louisiana, 1997
- State and Local Tax Issues
- Successfully argued for the Louisiana Department of Revenue’s application of ten years of a Georgia company’s payroll tax payments to a tax rather than penalties and interest accumulated over that period.
- Restructured a large gaming company to avoid millions of dollars of Louisiana franchise tax.
- Convinced local tax authorities to assess dirt company’s customers for underpayment of sales tax, saving dirt company several hundred thousand dollars of sales tax liability.
- Defended a large aircraft repair business in connection with Louisiana sales and use tax audit.
- Assisted a national insurance company in a Louisiana income tax audit.
- Structured a pharmacy’s drug sales to minimize Louisiana sales and use taxes.
- Business Formations
- Successfully structured and implemented the tax-free conversion from S corporation tax status to partnership tax status of six affiliated limited liability companies engaged in a home health business worth over $100 million.
- Minimized a foreign corporation’s tax and other liabilities by structuring its U.S. ownership of $1.5 billion in oil and gas assets.
- Represented non-Louisiana oil and gas drilling company, guiding it through a maze of Louisiana licensing and tax filing requirements to qualify the company to conduct business in Louisiana.
- Acquisitions and Sales
- Represented a ship building company in the acquisition of millions of dollars of ship building assets from a seller involved in a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Negotiated and closed the sale of a privately-held offshore diving company for over $50 million.
- Negotiated and closed a client’s acquisition of a multimillion dollar landfill business.
- Contractual Relationships
- Helped municipality stimulate economic growth by preparing and successfully negotiating on its behalf an agreement with foreign airline providing for the only direct flight between municipality and foreign business destination.
- Assisted numerous clients with preparing and negotiating employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, settlement agreements, indemnity agreements, confidentiality agreements, brokering agreements, option agreements and other kinds of agreements.
- Tax and Economic Incentives
- Represented a Fortune 100 film and television production company in connection with earning and selling tens of millions of dollars of Louisiana Motion Picture Investor Tax Credits.
- Represented clients in connection with development of multi-million dollar real estate projects utilizing Federal and Louisiana New Markets Tax Credits, Historic Tax Credits and other incentives.
- Financing Transactions
- Acted as bank counsel in connection with large lending transactions.
- Represented film studio clients in connection with film finance transactions.
- Assisted clients with obtaining equity financing through private placement transactions.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Leadership Jefferson Class of 2011
- Member – Louisiana Oil and Gas Association Tax Committee
- Member – Louisiana Film and Entertainment Association
- Board Member – New Orleans Business Alliance
- Member – Baker Donelson Emerging Company Institute
- Member – Baker Donelson Economic Development Team
Rate : $$$$