For nearly two decades, Schuyler B. Kraus has dedicated his practice to defending clients in consumer and class action matters. Armed with a wealth of experience and industry knowledge, Schuyler represents mortgage lenders, servicers and investors in state and federal actions alleging mortgage fraud, predatory lending, and violations of state and federal consumer protection statutes. He defends a variety of claims brought against his clients including those under the:
- Truth in Lending Act (TILA);
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA);
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA);
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA); and the
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Focusing on the intersection of regulation and litigation, Schuyler advises his clients on regulatory and compliance counseling matters, including complaints involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), as well as the State Attorney General’s Office.
Schuyler’s clients not only benefit from his deep knowledge of the procedures and practices of the state and federal courts throughout New York—including appellate matters—but also his commitment to integrate and leverage technology to provide them with cost-effective options from intake to resolution.
In addition, he represents numerous corporations and insurance carriers—in first party and coverage disputes—in state and federal litigation. Schuyler’s practice has further included advising and representing attorneys, judges, and law firms in ethics, disciplinary, malpractice, and risk management matters.
Schuyler has been active in the firm’s management, serving terms on Hinshaw’s Management Committee, the Executive Committee, and as Co-Chair of the firm’s Consumer Financial Services Practice Group.
Before joining Hinshaw, Schuyler was an associate in the New York office of an international firm based in Chicago, where he managed a Fortune 100 company’s mass tort litigation in New York State. He also served for a decade as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department, Office of the Corporation Counsel, where he was assigned to the Bronx Family Court.
Prior to his career as an attorney, Schuyler was Deputy Director of the County Court Victim/Witness Unit at the Boulder County District Attorney’s Office in Boulder, Colorado. He served as liaison between district attorneys and the victims of violent crime with regard to all court proceedings.
Professional Affiliations :
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 1999
- B.A., University of Colorado at Boulder, 1994
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York.
Rate : $$$