Stephen A. Sherman serves as Counsel to the Firm in Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Louisville office and has been with SKO for more than 10 years. He contributes to the Tax practice and also the Business Services practice with a focus on Health Care.
Tax: Working with clients ranging from individual persons to publicly traded companies, Stephen offers his expertise in matters concerning all areas of taxation, including corporate and personal income tax, wage assessments, excise tax and property tax as well as tax exemptions, credits and tax-related issues.
Involved in all aspects of local, state and federal taxation, Stephen has extensive experience in complex tax planning, audit defense and tax controversies. He has represented clients before state revenue agencies, the IRS, and state and federal courts.
He has significant expertise in tax-motivated transactions and the negotiation and implementation of tax incentives, including like-kind exchanges, corporate income tax credits, property tax abatements, New Markets Tax Credit Program and Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
Health Care: Stephen represents providers from both nonprofit and for-profit organizations in various general business matters, such as employment matters, practice sales, mergers and acquisitions, and separations.
He supports his clients in regulatory matters by applying for and challenging Kentucky Certificates of Need and other licensure requirements and assisting in Medicare and Medicaid audits and reimbursement disputes. He also advises on compliance with state and federal laws, including the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act.
Business Services: Stephen’s proficiency in tax law, along with his knowledge of business concerns, including the unique challenges faced by health care systems, makes him a valuable asset to clients involved in business activities spanning from mergers and acquisitions to contract negotiations.
- University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law 2008, LL.M.
- Ave Maria School of Law 2007, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame 2004, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- United States Tax Court
- Louisville Bar Association, Leadership Academy, 2012; Taxation Section, chair, 2011; Taxation Section, vice-chair, 2011
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association, Health Law Section, 2018
- Board of Directors of Community Catholic Center, Inc., member, 2009-2012
- Knights of Columbus
- Hosparus of Louisville, volunteer
Rate : $$$