Steven F. Luby practices in the Charleston, West Virginia office of Steptoe & Johnson PLLC and focuses his practice in the areas of tax, business organizations, commercial transactions, estate planning, asset protection planning, estate and trust administration, business succession planning, and federal and state tax controversies.
He has extensive experience in estate planning, estate and trust administration, as well as tax, buy-sell and business succession planning for closely held businesses and professional entities.
Mr. Luby is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive). He received his law degree from West Virginia University and his undergraduate degree from Wheeling Jesuit University where he graduated magna cum laude. He is licensed to practice law in Ohio and West Virginia.
- Representation of numerous clients on the implementation of federal, gift, generation skipping transfer, and income tax planning and other estate planning, including the drafting of wills, revocable trusts, insurance trusts, special needs trusts, grantor annuity trusts and charitable trusts. Several estate plans exceeded $50 million of net worth.
- Representation of numerous clients on estate administration, elective share and probate matters in West Virginia
- Implemented numerous pre-marital agreements with the assistance of experienced divorce attorneys for high net worth clients and their children, particularly clients who own closely held businesses
- Implemented asset protection planning of several high net worth clients, including acting as local counsel for clients in the implementation of foreign asset protection trusts
- Representation of several prominent medical practices in the structuring of their governance, employment and compensation arrangements as well as compliance with health care regulatory matters, including Stark and anti-kickback compliance
- Representation of business owners in disputes and litigation related to governance, dissociation and receivership and the representation of trustees and beneficiaries related to trust administration matters
- Served as underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of bonds in the aggregate amount in excess of $200 million for road construction, higher education projects, hospital financing and real estate development
- J.D. West Virginia University
- B.A. Wheeling Jesuit University
- Graduated magna cum laude, Wheeling Jesuit University
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- West Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law and Taxation Sections)
- West Virginia Bar Association (Probate Committee)
- Charleston Estate Planning Council
Rate : $$$$