Steven P. Polivy serves as chair of Akerman’s Economic Development and Incentives Practice. He represents developers, international investors, Fortune 500 companies, and other real estate end-users in securing crucial government incentives and tax benefits for major urban redevelopment and corporate relocation projects.
He helps clients to obtain funding through federal programs such as the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program and the New Market Tax Credit Program, as well as complex tax-exempt financing and other city and state tax credits.
His practice also includes the representation of financial institutions that act as lenders, underwriters, and placement agents, or that serve the function of letter of credit issuers, liquidity providers, or trustees, with respect to tax-exempt and taxable debt for real estate, industrial, and economic development projects, and municipal financing generally.
Steve’s projects include major transportation hubs, mixed-use developments, warehouse and distribution centers, corporate offices, hotels, and retail shopping venues. In the aftermath of 9/11, he helped clients secure special bond financing made available for rebuilding efforts in New York.
He also has experience working with nonprofit organizations – such as the New York headquarters of the American Cancer Society, and Yeshiva of Flatbush among other private schools, and charitable organizations – on their tax-exempt financings.
Steve serves as the co-chairman of the board of directors for The Jewish Braille Institute and as co-chair of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Real Estate Alumni Group and is a past board member of the United Nations Development Corporation and the New York metropolitan council of the Urban Land Institute.
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1980
- A.B., Vassar College, 1977
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- United Nations Development Corporation, Board of Directors, Finance Committee, Member
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), New York City District Council, Advisory Board, Member
- The Jewish Braille Institute, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Member; Investment Committee, Vice-Chairman and Chairman
Rate : $$$