Thomas E. D. (“Ted”) Millspaugh is chair of Venable’s Real Estate Group. Ted oversees the group’s lawyers in all of the firm’s offices and has a national practice of his own. Handling transactions in most of the major metropolitan areas in the United States, he has a broad knowledge of real estate law and extensive experience with all types of complex real estate transactions.
He also participates in several important national real estate associations and has numerous legal and non-legal contacts throughout the industry. Ted represents some of the world’s largest investment management firms and their pension fund, foundation, and other investors in real estate transactions.
He also represents financial institutions, developers, and individual entrepreneurs and investors who have real estate holdings. The list includes LaSalle Investment Management, Legg Mason, AEW Capital Management, and IHP Capital Partners.
Ted’s experience includes all aspects of the cycle of a real estate transaction: investments, structuring and joint ventures; acquisition, development, and construction; financing (originations and workouts); leasing and management; and sale and disposition.
He spent significant time in his early years as a land use lawyer and as a bond finance lawyer, which informs his current practice and enhances his comprehensive knowledge of real estate projects.
Ted’s experience also includes extensive involvement with four major property types: office projects, industrial projects, retail centers, and multifamily projects. He also has experience with other, more specialized property types, such as senior living (including comprehensive care) projects, hotel and resort properties, and aviation facilities.
In many cases, he has handled mixed-use projects that involve combinations of more than one different property type. Through all this experience, Ted has developed a thorough knowledge of the interrelationships between different aspects of complicated building structures and designs.
The unusually broad and deep scope of Ted’s experience enables him to provide valuable, well-rounded advice to his clients and to solve their most important challenges.
- Represented one of the world’s largest investment management firms and its pension fund investors in acquisition, disposition, leasing, and financing transactions in more than 30 states
- Represented a joint venture between a major investment management firm and a major state pension fund in the acquisition, development, leasing, and sale of multiple warehouse and distribution centers throughout the United States
- Represented an institutional investor in joint ventures with a national retail real estate investment trust (REIT) for more than $500 million in acquisition and development transactions
- Represented a major state pension fund and its advisor in a complex $294 million master credit facility secured by four multifamily projects
- Represented a troubled loan fund in workouts and restructurings related to $250+ million in loans secured by properties throughout the United States
- Represented state pension funds and their advisors in hundreds of leasing transactions for office, industrial, and retail properties, throughout the United States
- Represented a global financial institution in the negotiation, leasing, and development of three regional headquarters and its 350,000+ square foot global headquarters
- J.D. University of Virginia School of Law 1987
- B.A. highest honors University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1983
Bar Admissions : Maryland, District of Columbia
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Real Estate Roundtable
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Former member, advisory board of a national title company
Rate : $$$