Thomas William Mayo is an Associate Professor at SMU/Dedman School of Law, where he was recently awarded the President’s Associates Outstanding Faculty Award. He is the immediate past Director of the Maguire Center for Ethics and Public Responsibility in Dallas. Tom teaches Health Care Law, Bioethics and Law, Nonprofit Organizations, Torts, and Legislation.
He is also an Adjunct Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas−Southwestern Medical School, where he teaches medical ethics in the Colleges program program and offers a fourth-year elective in Medicine, Literature, and Law at both the law and medical schools.
Tom is admitted to the Texas, New York, and District of Columbia Bars, as well as to practice before the United States Supreme Court and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Second, and Eleventh Circuits.
Tom serves on institutional ethics committees for numerous hospitals, including:
- Parkland Memorial Hospital (co-chair since 1992)
- Baylor University Medical Center (since 1992)
- Children’s Medical Center of Dallas (co-chair since 2001)
Tom is a frequent speaker on health law, including:
- “Physician Misconduct: Ethical and Legal Considerations,” Ethics Grand Rounds, UT-Southwestern Medical School, February 9, 2010.
- “Is Brain Death Dead?” Annual Meeting, Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons, San Antonio, TX, March 6, 2010.
- J.D., Syracuse University, 1977, magna cum laude; Editor-in-Chief, Syracuse Law Review; Order of the Coif
- B.A., Amherst College, 1971
- District of Columbia
- New York
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES :
- State Bar of Texas, Health Law Section (Council member, 1998-2011)
- Fellow and past board member (1997-2003), American Health Lawyers Association
- Advisory Board, BNA’s Health Law Reporter
- Advisory Committee, Program in Ethics in Science and Medicine, University of Texas – Southwestern Medical Center, since 1998
- William “Mac” Taylor Chapter, American Inn of Court, Executive Committee (since 1994), President, 2005-2007
Rate : $$$$