W. Alex Smith is an associate in the business litigation practice. He represents and advises corporate clients on a wide variety of complex civil litigation matters, including contract disputes, consumer class actions, commercial real estate disputes and business torts.
Alex counsels and represents corporate clients in connection with a diverse array of litigation matters in federal and state courts at the trial and appellate levels. He has garnered substantial experience in building cases from the ground up, thoroughly exploring all potential procedural and substantive avenues of success for his clients prior to and during litigation.
Alex has cultivated his practice through hands-on advocacy, having held significant roles as an advocate in federal, state, and arbitral proceedings. He advises and protects his clients by providing a unique perspective in litigation, having served as a law clerk to the Honorable Gerald Bard Tjoflat of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
In his pro bono work, Alex represents low-income tenants in dispossessory proceedings and indigent criminal defendants in habeas corpus proceedings.
Representative Matters :
- Representing a regional healthcare provider in Georgia federal court arising out of a contract dispute involving the implementation of healthcare software.
- Serving as counsel to a national loan provider in California federal court against a putative class action involving unfair competition claims.
- Represented and counseled a national bus dealership in various commercial real estate disputes involving tortious interference claims.
- Defended a real estate investment trust in an arbitration proceeding concerning a commercial real estate dispute with a tenant.
- Represented members of the United States House of Representatives in the filing of an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court.
Professional Experience :
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Gerald Bard Tjoflat of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2015-2016
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Julie E. Carnes of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, 2013
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable R. David Proctor of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama, 2013
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Order of the Barristers, 2015, Articles Editor, Georgia Law Review; Vice Chairman, Mock Trial Board
- University of Georgia, B.A., 2012
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$