William Latham is a partner of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP. He is a technology savvy trial lawyer with more than 25 years of commercial litigation experience focusing on class action defense, franchise and distribution system litigation, insurance coverage/bad faith litigation and defending/prosecuting false advertising claims.
He is also a member of the Firm’s information security and data breach client service team. He has earned the designation of Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Bill is certified as a Circuit Court mediator and arbitrator by the South Carolina Supreme Court’s Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification. He is also on the roster of approved mediators of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, with honors (1992)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BS, Administration of Justice and Political Science (1985)
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Experience defending clients against class action claims in (e.g., RICO, TCPA, JFPA, “economic loss”, consumer fraud, products, data breach) state and federal courts throughout the country, including multidistrict litigation
- Represents major motor vehicle manufacturers and national franchisors in distribution system disputes throughout the country
- Represents clients in proceedings before the National Advertising Division (“NAD”) of the Better Business Bureau
- Speaks and writes regularly on class action developments, data security, ADR, and law practice technology issues
- South Carolina Bar
- State Bar of North Carolina
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law
- ABA Business Law Section
- Defense Research Institute Business Litigation Committee
Rate : $$$