Alexander Burch is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice in Houston and the Global Dispute Resolution Group. He has extensive appellate litigation experience before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and Texas appellate courts.
Alexander previously served as a briefing attorney to Justice Phil Johnson of the Supreme Court of Texas and was an officer of the United States Marine Corps. Alexander’s practice is focused on civil trial and appellate litigation.
He is experienced in a broad array of civil, commercial matters including product-liability defense, mineral-lease disputes, asset-purchase disputes, construction-contract disputes, personal-injury and wrongful-death-action defense, airline litigation, and disputes involving Texas governmental immunity issues.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (JD) (2010)
- Texas A&M University (BA) (1997)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2012)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
Representative Legal Matters:
- Defended on appeal a trial court’s dismissal of a software products and services contract dispute on the parties’ contractual forum-selection clause. The court of appeals, relying solely on the briefing, rejected the appellant’s arguments and affirmed the trial court’s enforcement of the forum-selection clause and case dismissal.
- Successfully defended on appeal a USD 4 million judgment in favor of the client, in a breach of warranty and product liability action brought against a manufacturer of casing connections which failed during hydraulic fracturing operations of the client’s horizontal well. Based on the appellate briefing, the court of appeals unanimously rejected each of the several complex issues raised by the appellant.
- Successfully defended on appeal the summary dismissal of a personal injury action brought against a client manufacturer involving product liability claims to multi-piece wheel assemblies installed on a commercial tractor.
- Obtained summary dismissal of action against an airline involving contract claims related to the airline’s frequent-flyer program and successfully defended the district court’s judgment on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained a reversal in Texas appellate court from the trial court’s dismissal on jurisdictional grounds of the client’s USD 1 billion tax valuation dispute. The result reinstated the client’s dispute for consideration on the merits.
- Represented Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in defense of permissive appeal. Successfully obtained appellate court’s denial of permissive appeal.
Rate : $$$