Amr Razzak represents clients in a broad range of corporate transactions and corporate governance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, investment and capital markets transactions, and situations involving shareholder activism.
Mr. Razzak’s practice encompasses transactions involving public and private companies, private equity funds, friendly and unsolicited situations, and U.S. and cross-border transactions. He has significant experience handling transactions in Europe, Asia and Australia, as well as in growth markets such as India, Israel, China, Egypt and Singapore.
Before joining the firm’s Palo Alto office in 2004, Mr. Razzak was resident in Skadden’s New York and Singapore offices, where he worked on many transactions recognized by industry publications in their annual reviews of the year’s largest and most innovative deals.
He serves as chair of the Palo Alto office’s Diversity Committee. Mr. Razzak’s notable experience includes the representation of:
- Advantest Corporation (Japan), in an initially unsolicited, but subsequently agreed upon, $1.1 billion acquisition of Verigy Ltd. (Singapore). This transaction was recognized in the 2011 Financial Times US Innovative Lawyers report;
- Fox Paine & Company, LLC in numerous transactions, including the $1 billion sale of Paradigm Ltd. to Apax Partners L.P. and JMI Equity; the sale of Penhaligon’s and L’Artisan Parfumeur to affiliates of PUIG; and the sale of Erno Laszlo to an affiliate of RBS Capital;
- The Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd. (Japan) in its $99 million sale of a controlling interest in Optical Communications Products, Inc.;
- Hexaware Technologies Limited (India), a developer of computer software and a provider of information technology services, in its $34 million acquisition of FocusFrame, Inc.;
- Innoviva, Inc. in response to activist shareholder Sarissa Capital Management LP’s proxy fight to elect three directors to Innoviva’s board of directors;
- Intel Corporation in its $4.2 billion spin-off and joint venture with TPG Capital, L.P. to form the independent cybersecurity company McAfee; and in the sale of its Wind River subsidiary to TPG.
- Meridian Gold in its defense against an unsolicited exchange offer by Yamana Gold Inc. and its subsequent acquisition by Yamana in a three-way combination with Northern Resources Inc.;
- PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia in a series of related acquisition and sale transactions with PT Indonesian Satellite Corporation valued at $1.2 billion (the 2001 FinanceAsia Most Innovative M&A Deal of the Year);
- Rhapsody in connection with the transfer of Telefonica’s music streaming business in South America and the related investment by Telefonica into Rhapsody;
- Theravance Inc. in various matters, including the separation of the company into two publicly traded companies, Theravance and Theravance Biopharma, and in a $450 million royalty monetization private placement;
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1998 (cum laude)
- M.S.F.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 1998
- A.B., Brown University, 1990
- New York
Rate : $$$$