Barry M. Kaplan is a partner in the Seattle office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he is the head of the Wilson Sonsini Northwest Litigation Group. Barry has broad experience in securities and corporate governance litigation, class action defense, and SEC and internal corporate investigations.
He was described in the 2017 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as “the dean of securities litigation in Seattle.” Best Lawyers in America named Barry the 2012 Securities Litigator of the Year for Seattle—the first time that this honor had been awarded to a Seattle securities litigator.
He was again honored with this award in 2016. Barry is a frequent writer and speaker on securities litigation and corporate law and governance topics, and he is an Affiliate Professor of Law at the University of Washington School of Law, where he has taught courses in securities regulation and shareholder litigation.
Barry has co-authored two books: Directors’ and Officers’ Liability, 3rd Ed. (with Greg Watts) published by the Practising Law Institute (PLI) and Washington Corporate Law and Practice, the leading treatise on Washington corporate law, originally published by Prentice Hall.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1976
- B.A., Colgate University, 1973
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Member, AIG Director and Officer Litigation Panel
- Member, Monitor Liability Securities Claims Panel
- Member, Chubb Preferred Securities Panel (formerly Ace)
- Member, Marsh Securities Claim Panel
- Member, North Carolina Biosciences Organization (NCBIO)
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$