Derrick Carson is Chair of the Firm’s Energy Litigation Practice Group and a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors. He has a global dispute resolution practice, primarily representing clients in the energy, petrochemical and construction industries.
He has tried cases as lead counsel to juries, judges and arbitrators and served as lead counsel on appeals, including arguing cases before the U.S. Courts of Appeal.
His arbitration experience includes international matters where he has represented clients before a host of international arbitral bodies on issues as diverse as development of oil and gas fields, pipeline and offshore rig construction, maritime matters and other contractual disputes.
Derrick has a well-deserved reputation as a gifted advocate that is passionate about presenting his clients’ cases to juries, judges and arbitrators.
For example, just since May 2016, Derrick has:
- Represented a fabrication subcontractor in a four-week trial in an energy-related construction dispute that resulted in an extremely rare finding of Cardinal Change and a $35 million judgment for his client. The case settled while on appeal.
- Tried a commercial dispute in which his client regained title to and possession of a dozen wind turbines valued at over $18 million.
- Tried a jury trial in which Derrick defended a large banking institution against claims from a high net worth individual that resulted in a complete defense judgment.
- Tried a jury trial in which Derrick’s client received a unanimous jury verdict against its former CEO for embezzlement, including an award of punitive damages. The case settled after verdict.
- Tried a two-week jury trial in which he defended a midstream company in claims that it sold contaminated propane and butane to an international commodities trader.
Representative Experience :
- Represented a multinational energy company in an ad hoc international arbitration against an African state-owned oil company regarding a tertiary development project with over $300 million dollars in controversy
- Represented a midstream company in a dispute with a producer that challenged the nature of its dedication. The case was worth over $200 million over the remaining nine-year term of the contract
- Represented a midstream company in a dispute with an international commodities trader regarding allegedly contaminated propane and butane
- Defended a multinational energy company in a dispute involving over $300 million in claims related to exploration and development of properties in Yemen
- Represented a publicly traded midstream company in claims arising out of purchase of marine transportation business
- Regular representation of operators and non-operators in disputes related to joint operating agreements
- Represented owner of gas processing plant in connection with claims against engineering company related to gross delays and overcharges
- Represented a general contractor in disputes with both the developer and subcontractors regarding the development of a windfarm
- Represented owner of offshore production platform in ad hoc international arbitration asserting several million dollars in delay and construction defect claims against EPC contractor
- Advised a municipal entity regarding its development of a convention center hotel; the project was completed on time, on budget and without any claims asserted against the firm’s client
- Represented a business owner in a literally bet-the-company case regarding the enforceability of an agreement to sell the business. After a one-week trial, the court entered judgment for Derrick’s client
- Represented a minority shareholder in claims against his fellow business owners when they forced him out of the business
- Representation of multiple banks, finance companies, and mortgage servicing companies throughout the State of Texas in cases alleging improper mortgage servicing practices
- J.D., cum laude, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, 1997
- B.A., with honors, New Mexico State University, 1994
Admissions : Texas, 1997
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2013
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP (2005-present)
- Member, Locke Lord Board of Directors (2018-present)
- Chair, Locke Lord Energy Litigation Practice Group (2018-present)
- Chair, Locke Lord Construction Law Practice Group (2013-2018)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, “International Arbitration Advocacy” (2016-2018)
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP (1999-2004)
- Associate, McGlinchey Stafford PLLC (1997-1999)
Professional Affiliations :
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Selected to three-year term on Executive Committee (2012)
- Vice-Chair (Arbitrator Training & Education)
- Board Member, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Construction Law, International Law and Litigation Sections
- Member, Houston International Arbitration Club, Inc.
Rate : $$$