Bruce T. Bishop focuses his practice on asbestos defense, transportation, trucking, aviation and environmental litigation. Bruce has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the United States in the defense of toxic torts/products liability claims.
In the course of representing numerous clients in toxic tort and products liability litigation, Bruce has developed considerable experience in the coordination of mass tort litigation. Bruce also has a national reputation in the medical and state-of-the-art issues associated with toxic tort litigation.
- Defense of lawsuits for personal injury and property damage arising out of the installation and/or removal or presence of asbestos-containing products.
- Defense of lawsuits for personal injury and wrongful death arising from the use of allegedly defective products. Cases include experience with automobiles, medical devices, automobile batteries, drugs, asbestos, cranes, industrial and farm equipment.
- Defense of helicopter parts manufacturer, aircraft engine manufacturers, and military aircraft manufacturers in multiple deaths/personal injury products liability actions.
- Defense and prosecution under CERCLA and related state law theories of liability for major railroad carriers and a major agricultural farming company.
- Assistance in the prosecution of insurance coverage actions by manufacturers against their insureds, particularly on trigger of coverage and related issues.
- Previous experience in the defense of personal injury suits based on alleged medical malpractice. These include suits brought against doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other health care professionals.
- Relevant Experience in Asbestos Litigation
- Co-trial counsel in the first personal injury case to be tried to a verdict involving injury and death from alleged exposure to asbestos as a building occupant rather than occupational/household exposure. The case resulted in a defense verdict.
- Defense of Owens-Corning Fiberglass in numerous cases throughout the country, serving as a member of their national trial team.
- Special medical and state-of-the-art trial counsel for Celotex and Carey Canada, Inc., in the Federal Reserve Bank property damage litigation pending in Minneapolis, Minnesota, which was settled on the eve of trial.
- Owens-Corning Fiberglass lead trial counsel in the National School Property Damage Class Action Phase One Trial in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Representation of Rapid-American Corporation in asbestos-related trials throughout the United States, including large consolidations in Michigan, New York and West Virginia, among other states.
- National trial counsel for the Center for Claims Resolution, and together with other members of the asbestos personal injury group at Willcox & Savage, helped coordinate the retention and development of expert witnesses throughout the country on behalf of CCR defendants.
- Retained by Halliburton to assist nationwide in the defense of its subsidiaries, Brown & Root and Worthington Industries.
- Retained by Exxon Mobil Corporation to assist nationally in the defense of their asbestos products liability litigation, including co-trial counsel in the 2002 W. Virginia Consolidation Trial in Charleston, West Virginia.
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1976
- B.S., Old Dominion University, 1973
- Virginia State Bar
- Federal Bar Association: President, Tidewater Chapter (1980 to 1981)
- Defense Research Institute
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Virginia Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Bar Association
- Barrister, American Inns of Court
- Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- West Virginia State Bar
Rate : $$$