Carmine R. Zarlenga is a seasoned advocate who has handled a wide variety of complex antitrust, commercial litigation and intellectual property matters. During a career of over 25 years, he has appeared in over 50 different state and federal courts across the United States on behalf of some of the largest national and international companies in the world. He is recognized as a Washington DC “Super Lawyer.”
Carmine’s litigation experience ranges from large, complex class actions with claimed damages in excess of $1 billion and attendant publicity to smaller, private disputes. He has handled matters involving antitrust, contract, fraud, business torts, real estate, trade secrets, unfair trade practices, intellectual property and false advertising. In addition, he regularly counsels leading companies on marketing, distribution, pricing and other trade practice matters.
He also has substantial arbitration and mediation experience, and has directly negotiated settlements in numerous litigation and non-litigation matters. In matters requiring litigation, he has examined, cross-examined and defended witnesses including CEOs and CFOs. He has worked with (and against) nationally renowned experts in the fields of economics, finance, marketing, accounting and forensics.
Clients place a high value on Carmine’s strategic insight. He frequently counsels corporate boards and senior corporate management on litigation and non-litigation matters. He takes great pride in finding innovative solutions to the most challenging and varied legal problems.
- Ohio State University, BA, cum laude
- University of Cincinnati College of Law , JD
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- University of Cincinnati Law Review Alumni Board
- Board of Directors, Homestretch Inc. – a non-profit organization providing transitional housing to homeless families in Northern Virginia
- Nespresso USA, Inc. v. Ethical Coffee Co. S.A., 263 F. Supp. 3d 498 (D. Del. 2017). Prevailed on motion to dismiss two Swiss entities for lack of personal jurisdiction. The District Court rejected several different alternative theories in its opinion, making this decision useful for other overseas entities named in US litigation without proper jurisdictional footing.
- Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc. v. Airbus Helicopters, 78 F. Supp. 2d 253 (D.D.C. 2015). Served as lead counsel for Airbus Helicopters at trial in this patent infringement action before Judge Robert Wilkins who at the time was sitting on the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit. Obtained a rare permanent injunction barring archrival’s use of innovative landing gear for the life of the applicable patent.
- EADS Deutschland GmbH v. Herley Industries. On behalf of plaintiff EADS, obtained expedited return of technology and equipment from a defaulting venture partner via a motion for preliminary injunction; subsequently recovered a multimillion-dollar settlement for the client via court-assisted mediation in a complex international dispute relating to multiple defense projects.
- In re Vitamins Antitrust Litigation and In re Methionine Antitrust Litigation. Represented plaintiff Foster Farms in two major antitrust litigations seeking recovery of antitrust overcharges for price-fixing, both resulting in multi-million dollar settlements for the client.
- McCluskey v. Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water Co. Successfully mediated a case on behalf of a Perrier subsidiary involving a competitor’s allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and tortious intereference.
- Downing-Rivers, Inc. v. Stouffer Foods Corp. Handled an action involving alleged breach of a brokerage agreement; a motion to dismiss all claims was granted.
- Auger v. Stouffer Corp. Jury trial in $80 million case involving the standard of professional management required under written hotel management contract; closely watched case in the hotel industry.
- McKinney v. Anheuser-Busch, Inc. Defended suit by potential purchasers of distributorship; obtained summary judgment for client.
Rate : $$$