Cate H. Bae is a counsel based in the New York office and a member of the firm’s Investment Management Group. Her practice focuses on advising sponsors of private investment funds, co-investment vehicles and separately managed accounts, covering numerous sectors and strategies, including buyout, infrastructure, banking and financial services, credit, growth capital and emerging markets funds.
She also advises sponsors and investors in connection with complex secondary transactions, including direct sales and purchases of fund interests. Ms. Bae’s recent experience includes acting for clients such as The Carlyle Group, Global Infrastructure Partners, HarbourVest Partners, Morgan Stanley, Oaktree Capital Management, One Rock Capital and Stone Point Capital.
Ms. Bae oversees and provides advice on the firm’s global survey of securities and investment management laws relevant to the offer and sale of investment fund interests in over 70 countries. Ms. Bae is recognized by The Legal 500 US (2018).
Ms. Bae joined the firm in 2009. She received a J.D. from Columbia Law School in 2009 where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. She received a B.A. from Ewha Womans University and an M.A. from Hunter College in Art History.
Ms. Bae is a member of the Bar of New York. She is fluent in Korean.
- The Carlyle Group in its strategic partnership with AIG to position DSA Re as a platform to provide solutions for insurance liabilities globally.
- HarbourVest Partners as lead investor in Lime Rock Partners IV AF, L.P., a $1.9 billion acquisition fund which acquired the remaining assets of Lime Rock Partners IV, L.P.
- HarbourVest Partners in its role as a lead investor in the restructuring of Eos Capital Partners III and Eos Capital Partners IV.
- The Carlyle Group in various fundraising activities, including in the formation of:
Carlyle Europe Partners IV, a €3.75 billion Europe buyout fund.
- Carlyle Europe Technology Partners III, a €656 million Europe growth capital/technology fund.
- Carlyle Sub-Saharan Africa Fund, a $698 million Sub-Saharan Africa fund.
- Carlyle Peru Fund, a $308 million Peru buyout/venture fund.
- Carlyle Cardinal Ireland Fund, a €300 million Ireland-focused growth capital fund.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in the formation of various funds and accounts in the infrastructure sector, including:
- Global Infrastructure Partners III, a $15.8 billion infrastructure fund.
- Global Infrastructure Partners II, an $8.25 billion infrastructure fund.
- Global Infrastructure Partners Capital Solutions Fund, a $731 million global credit opportunities fund.
- J.F. Lehman in its formation of JFL Equity Investors III, a $575 million fund focused on the defense, aerospace and maritime sectors.
- Oaktree Capital Management in various fundraising activities, including in the formation of:
- Oaktree Opportunities Fund X/Xb, a $12.5 billion global distressed debt fund.
- Oaktree European Principal Fund IV, a €1 billion Europe buyout fund.
- Oaktree European Capital Solutions Fund, a €703 million Europe senior debt fund.
- One Rock Capital Partners in the formation of One Rock Capital Partners II, a $964 million U.S. buyout fund.
- Columbia Law School, 2009, J.D.
- Hunter College, 2005, M.A.
- Ewha Womans University, 2001, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$