With more than 20 years of experience in Western water law, Chris Thorne effectively assists clients in all types of matters involving water rights. He represents clients in the state and federal courts, including Colorado’s water court, administrative proceedings, water rights acquisitions and transactions involving water rights, and in the development and negotiation of water supply plans and arrangements.
Chris’ clients include municipal water providers, energy companies, real estate developers, industrial water users, ranchers and farmers, and special districts.
Chris also has specialized experience in adjudicating recreational water rights and in advocating his clients’ interests in the Colorado legislative process. In addition, he often counsels clients on environmental compliance matters and environmental litigation under the Clean Water Act and other federal environmental programs.
Chris chaired the firm’s Water Practice Group for over ten years. Prior to joining the firm, he practiced in the Denver office of the international law firm of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher for five years.
Represents clients in water court litigation and related administrative proceedings involving:
- Adjudication of water rights
- Changes of water rights
- Complex plans for augmentation
Extensive experience with project development and permitting for companies developing water supplies for new projects, including:
- Power generation facilities
- Solar energy projects
- Natural gas production and pipeline facilities
Represents clients in all types of commercial transactions involving water rights including:
- Water rights sales and acquisitions
- Real estate and resort development
- Water supply agreements and water leases
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Colorado College, B.A., 1986
Bar Admissions : Colorado
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- Town of Berthoud Planning & Zoning Commission, Chairman
- American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy & Environmental Law Section, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Water Law Section, Member
- Colorado Water Congress
Rate : $$$$